Have you been accused of too much telling or information dumps? Does your character have a fascinating history, but you’re not sure how best to convey it to readers? Avoid the pitfalls of backstory by peeling back the layers one at a time to discover the most effective delivery methods, how much to use, and how to make it drive the main story.
- New this year at SavvyAuthors!:
- Basic and Premium Members Prices:
- Premium Members $30 & Basic Members $40
**Register by October 16 and save $5, use code BACKSTORYVAILE at checkout!**
- $5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts:
This course best suits modern fiction writers with a developed character and story idea, so I can tailor feedback.
- Understand how to use backstory to develop tension and engage readers.
- Know where your character came from and is headed, so the backstory is consistent and relevant.
- Determine which parts of the backstory are important, and which are just filler.
- Be able to identify where backstory isn’t working.
- Learn techniques to reveal backstory as part of the story, instead of information dumping.
- Know when to release backstory for maximum effect.
- Avoid backstory taking over the whole story.
- Use backstory as a baseline from which to show character growth.
- What other participants are saying about Sandy Vaile’s workshops:
- "The constructive feedback given on my work was priceless."
- "I liked the friendly nature of the learning experience."
- "This was a fantastic workshop with heaps of useful insights and techniques."
- "I loved Sandy’s dedication to giving the best feedback possible. It’s made a huge difference to my writing already."
- "Great structure, step-by-step."
Register at least 1 week before the class starts and receive $5 off the class! Check each class for details. Problem with a coupon? Contact us And we'll fix you right up!Dismiss Notice
Join us for FREE at the Basic Membership level or upgrade to a Premium Member! Not sure? check out our Premium Member Benefits!!Dismiss Notice
New Treat Backstory Like a Pungent Spice by Sandy Vaile
Sprinkle and blend the flavours of your character to achieve an irresistible aroma.