A New Paradigm of Excellence with Irene S. Roth

Writing Life A New Paradigm of Excellence with Irene S. Roth

New this year at SavvyAuthors!
  1. New!!
Level
Mixed
Category
  1. Writer's Life
There isn’t a lot written directly about how to become an excellent writer. It is a topic that a lot of writers shy away from because they feel that becoming excellent is not something is within their reach. This may be because many writers don’t feel that they could measure up against the best writers. Most writers believe that they must receive Newbery Medals and other international rewards before they can be excellent writers. No wonder so many writers don’t feel excellent!

However, to embark on our own authentic path to excellence, I don’t believe you need to receive outside recognition. There are other ways to embark on the path to excellence that is much more genuine, and this is within your reach by the intentional choices you make. There is one way of understanding excellence that it is conducive to improving from the inside by small increments as opposed to achieving excellence through public recognition which comes to but a few lucky writers.

Therefore, I believe there are two spheres of excellence for writers: the inner and outer. I will examine each of these during the conference.

From the outer sphere, excellence is achieved merely by writing good quality books which when completed will be recognized and measured by committees and agencies. According to this sphere, excellence is achieved ONLY if others approve your work and assess it to be of superior quality.

This kind of assessment, however, is usually made by a small panel of individuals who believe (in their professional opinions) that your manuscript is of superior quality when compared to other manuscripts. So, this view is subjective and highly dependent on a small group of individuals making the assessment. The writer has completely no control over how her destiny and success. For this reason, this external sphere of excellence is much more problematic for writers.

One of the main reasons the outer arena makes writers weaker and less prone to becoming excellent is because the process of being judged the best they can be is out of their control. It is basically controlled by a group of individuals who don’t know the writer and who can only look at their work and assess how it fares compared to other writers in similar genres.

Can this be a reliable and progressive measure of excellence? I believe this is one way for writers to become sensitive and lack self-confidence because there is only miniscule potential in this arena for achieving long-term excellence.

So, I believe it is necessary to create a new paradigm of excellence for writers, one in which the writer is in the driver’s seat and can achieve excellence from the inside-out, one small action step at a time. This new paradigm is founded on the inner sphere of excellence. I shall explain it in more detail in this conference.

In this inner realm, the writer is in control of how to embark on the path of excellence. For this path of excellence to make us stronger, it should build inner strength and resilience. But what is more, it will also help the writer become stronger and more self-assured which will help the writer to excel over time.

I believe that the external paradigm of reinforces an image of excellence that is masqueraded by uncertainty and unpredictability. Excellence cannot thrive in this kind of hostile environment. Instead excellence is something that develops from the inside out over time by developing certain mindsets, habits, and capacities. So, it is important for the writer to practise the inner paradigm of excellence to become her best and not focus on the outer paradigm as much.

Therefore, in this intensive, I will offer tips for you to develop this new paradigm of excellence. I will outline ten habits of excellence that, if practised consistently, will lead to excellence. Excellence is a process that is never completely achieved.

For more writing tips, please visit my website at: Irene Roth's Fearless Writer's Blog
Author
Sunny Irene Roth
Start date
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:00 AM
End date
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM
Registration end date
Sep 13, 2020 at 6:00 PM
Rating
4.32 star(s) 22 ratings

More classes from Sunny Irene Roth