Adding Humor to Novels and Short Stories with Steve Shrott

Craft Adding Humor to Novels and Short Stories with Steve Shrott

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $25 & Basic Members $35

Register by August 3rd and save $5, use code HUMORSHROTT2020 at checkout!
Category
  1. Structure
  2. Shorts/Novella
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
HUMORSHROTT2020
Do you want to write a funny novel or short story? Or perhaps you'd like to add humor to the book you've already written? If so, then this is the course for you.

Some of the areas covered in this two week course, include--
  • The difference between funny and humorous.
  • What makes something fun to read.
  • The importance of character.
  • The three main places to use humor.
  • Specific techniques that will improve your ability to make your novel or short story
  • Joke constructions and patterns that help us get laughs.
  • Learning how the masters, like Janet Evanovich, make their novels funny.
  • Editing the humor.
Outline
Intro and Lecture One
  • The two types of novels—dramatic and funny.
  • Why we need humor in dramatic novels.
  • Types of humorous novels--the challenged character, family,
  • fantasy, the wisecracker.
Lecture Two
  • The difference between 'funny' on TV and 'funny' in a novel. What is a premise?
  • Creating humorous premises. The importance of character for humor to work.
Lecture Three
  • Why people laugh at certain characters.
  • Techniques to make your characters funny— opposites, exaggeration, misinterpretation,
  • funny situations.
Lecture Four
  • Where to put the 'funny' in a novel--narration, introspection, description, dialogue.
  • Using exaggeration in description.
  • Ranting as a way to create humorous material.
Lecture Five
  • More humor techniques--the rug pull, similes, the long sentence, joke patterns (the three joke and the surprise joke.)
Lecture Six
  • Editing humor
  • Case studies of funny writers--Dave Barry, Janet Evanovich, Lee Martinez, David Rosenfelt.
Author
Stevens7_2000-yahoo.ie
Start date
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM
End date
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:00 AM
Registration end date
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:00 AM
Rating
4.94 star(s) 49 ratings

More classes from Stevens7_2000-yahoo.ie

Latest reviews

Highly recommend Steven Shrott's adding humor class. The class gave a good deal of information while at the same time not having an overwhelming pace. The feedback on the homework assignments was thorough and useful. And the homework was fun to do!
You can't go wrong with a Steve Shrott class. His lectures are in-depth and well-organized. He also provides authentic feedback that you can use to make your writing better. I'll be using my notes & practice assignments for years to come!
I highly recommend Steve Shrott's classes. The lessons are thoughtful and informative and presented in a clear, easy to follow manner. The examples he includes -- and there are a lot -- are very helpful. Steve goes above and beyond in providing extensive feedback to everyone. He is encouraging and raised my confidence in my writing abilities. And everything he does, he does it with humor!