Enabling You to Write Disabled Characters with Emily Carrington

Craft Enabling You to Write Disabled Characters with Emily Carrington

New this year at SavvyAuthors!
New!!
Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $25 & Basic Members $35

**Register by June 7 and save $5, use code CHARACTERSCARRINGTON2021 at checkout!**
Category
Characters, Genre, Plotting, POV, Voice, Worldbuilding
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
CHARACTERSCARRINGTON2021
Have you ever wanted to write characters that are nothing like you? Are you intimidated by this idea but still feel your new character *must* be blind/deaf/have PTSD for the story to go forward in the best possible way? Join Emily Carrington for Creating Authentic Disabled Characters.
Syllabus
Week 1:

Introduction:
  • Basics about research, permission given, and the ableist culture
The Joys of Writing Disabled Characters
  • Language, Culture, and Prejudice
  • Exercise: List the disabilities that immediately come to mind and describe some of the research you’d have to do to make these characters authentic. Choose one disability; come up with three research resources and email them to me.
Why Bother?
  • New experiences for the author
  • New challenges for the characters to overcome
  • Education and entertainment for readers
What is Disability?
  • Definitions:
    • ADA
    • Dictionary Definition
    • SSA
  • Exercise: Why would you need to know what category your character falls into? List three reasons and email them to me.
Week 2:

Stereotypes: Helpful and Not So Much
  • Superhero versus supervictim
  • Exercise: Write a character description of a disabled character that paints them as an everyday person (or magical creature who’s not *exceptionally* super in any way)
Am I Allowed?
  • The best way to answer this question is with another question. Why wouldn’t you be allowed?
    • “because I’m not part of that community.”
    • “Because I don’t know anyone who’s disabled so I have no one to ask.”
    • “Because disability is like religion or race—a sensitive topic.”
    • “Because there’s no way to know everything about disability so I’ll always be a stranger in a strange land.”
    • “Because I’m (insert disability here). I’m not (insert different difference here).
  • Exercise: Pick a scenario from those listed below and a disability. See where your imagination leads you.
  • Scenario: woman/man on the run from ex-husband meets Mr. Right.
  • Scenario: Single parent meets child’s teacher; sparks fly.
  • Scenario: Character is a head hunter for a secret organization and a disabled applicant appears in the office.
  • Disabilities: blindness, deafness, arthritis, connective tissue disorder, cancer, chronic depression, autistic spectrum disorder
Wrap-Up:
  • Lists of Resources
Author
Emily Carrington
Start date
Jun 14, 2021 at 9:00 AM
End date
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:00 AM
Registration end date
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:00 AM
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings