Magical Realism: How to Bring Magic to the Real World with Anna Denisch

Genre-Fantasy Magical Realism: How to Bring Magic to the Real World with Anna Denisch

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $20 Basic Members $25

Register by May 30th and save $5, use code MAGICALDENISCH2022 at checkout!
Category
  1. Description/Setting
  2. Genre
  3. Worldbuilding
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
MAGICALDENISCH2022
Class Length
1 Week
What is magical realism and how does it differ from fantasy? Learn the pros and cons of each in this one-week workshop, and learn how to implement which works best in your story!

Lesson One: What makes magical realism magical realism?

- Learn the ins and outs of magical realism and how it is different from fantasy​
- Understand the different levels of magic commonly used in magical realism novels​
- Learn the pros and cons of each and choose which works best for your story​

Lesson Two: Integration

- Determine what level of integration magic will play in your world​
- Determine what level of integration magic will play in your plot​
- Learn tips and tricks on seamlessly introducing and utilizing magic in the real world.​

Lesson Three: Rules and regulations

- Create a system of magic​
- Generate rules and regulations your magic must follow​
- Create plot points based on your magic​
Class Format
Savvy Authors' workshops are held on a forum: a bulletin board based system. You will receive a reminder notice one day prior to the start of the workshop that includes instructions on how to access the workshop forum. If you have not received instructions by the day the workshop begins, please check your spam filter.

The forum will be available the morning (EST) of the day the workshop starts and will remain accessible to all participants thereafter. You will also be given simple instructions on how to create a PDF of all your discussions along with our privacy and data retention policy.
Author
Amdenisch
Start date
Jun 6, 2022 at 9:00 AM
End date
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:50 AM
Registration end date
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:50 AM
Rating
4.84 star(s) 19 ratings

Latest reviews

I discovered something new - Magical Realism is NOT what I thought it was. I thought it was the kind of magic in Latin American stories by, say, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Maria Aranas, Paulo Coelho, Julia Alvarez, etc., but it also includes stories with non-human "creatures" such as witches and fairies. I love the first category and not so much the second . . . I was looking for info on how to incorporate imagery based on the first, but this course wasn't about that so I was disappointed.