Preparing for NanoWrimo for Terri Main

Writing Life Preparing for NanoWrimo for Terri Main

New this year at SavvyAuthors!
  1. New!!
Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $30 & Basic Members $40

Register by September 26th and save $5, use code NANOTOWIN2021 at checkout!
Category
  1. Plotting
  2. Writer's Life
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
NANOTOWIN2021
National Novel Writing Month is coming. In case you don't know about NanoWriMo, it's the writer's version of a marathon with all the craziness of Mardi Gras added in. However, there is a very serious side to this time of "literary abandon." It can set you free of those inner critics which slow you down writing that first draft and get you to "The End" when you may have failed to do so before. And it's also a lot of fun.

But to make it through without giving up partway through, you should make some preparation. This course will help you do that.

Topics include:
  • NanoWriMo: What is it and Why Should You Do It.
  • Are you a Nano Traditionalist or a Nano Rebel?
  • Preparing your premise
  • Creating a Story Arc
  • Planner, Pathfinder, or Pioneer: Plotting your novel YOUR Way
  • Get to Know your Characters
  • Build your World
  • Join your Tribe
  • After Nano
Outline
Extra Information:

When I was 12 years old, I decided to write a novel. It was about two time travelers one from the 20th Century and one from the 22nd Century both arriving at about the same time in the ancestral home where the grandson of one and the grandfather of the other, a rather boring accountant, lived an unremarkable life until these two maverick scientists show up in his basement.

I still like the premise, but I was 12. I hadn’t really studied fiction writing. I never got past the first few pages. I set it aside along with my novel writing aspirations at least for a while.
I made several forays into the field over the years in high school and college. Wrote a few acceptable but not amazing short stories and finally came to the conclusion that, while was an accomplished nonfiction writer, fiction writing took an innate talent I didn’t have.

But I still hung out in writer’s groups, edited a science fiction ezine, taught writing – even fiction writing – but never could quite make the leap from an acceptable short story to a publishable novel.
Then one day in one of my writer’s groups a bunch of people were taking part in NanoWriMo. I loved the concept of writing a novel in a month. And, after all, it was just a game. Just some literary fun. By the end of the month, I actually had finished an entire novel, and it wasn’t a bad start. I worked on editing it, and a year later my novel Dark Side of the Moon was published by Muse It Up Publishing.

Since then, I have written six more novels and several short stories. I had been held back by a false belief fostered by my many failed attempts to complete writing a novel that I could not do it.
But, once the inner critic that kept telling me it was no good, I didn’t have the talent, to just go back to my comfort zone of nonfiction, was silenced in the rush of adrenaline that comes from chasing a deadline, I learned that I could, in fact, write a novel.
That was 14 years ago. Since then, I have participated often. Three of my subsequent novels had their first drafts written in November. So, I hope that this course will help you prepare for this years event. Maybe Nano will silence some of your inner critics and break down the walls of doubt that may be holding you back as well.
Author
terrimain
Start date
Oct 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM
End date
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:00 AM
Registration end date
Oct 6, 2021 at 1:00 AM
Rating
4.26 star(s) 19 ratings

More classes from terrimain