Spells of the Heart: Editing Your Romance for Maximum Magic with Angela Knight

Genre-Romance Spells of the Heart: Editing Your Romance for Maximum Magic with Angela Knight

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium members $30/Basic members $40

Register by February 3 and save $5, use code MAXIMUMMAGICKNIGHT at checkout!
Category
  1. Characters
  2. Description/Setting
  3. Editing
  4. Dialogue
  5. Structure
  6. GMC
  7. Grammar
  8. Plotting
  9. POV
  10. Voice
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
MAXIMUMMAGICKNIGHT
You’ve just typed The End. Sigh! You’re done…

Not so fast. You can be absolutely sure that somewhere in that stack of pages are: embarrassing plot holes; limp love scenes; sentences that clank instead of ring; conflicts that go nowhere; colorless cardboard characters; and fight scenes with absolutely no punch.

But don’t despair. That, my dear romance novelists, is why God made rewrites.

In this month-long online class, New York Times bestselling author Angela Knight will demonstrate how to excavate the outstanding book buried under layers of dreck. She’ll cover everything from finding and plugging logic holes to transforming a dull love scene into something that will make your reader’s toes twitch.

What’s more, you’ll be able to email your work to Angela for private critique and help figuring out how to fix problematic scenes.

Topics include:

1.) Introduction -- What the class will cover

2.) More than Storytelling -- A terrific story does you no good if your writing is limp, confusing or so illogical you break your reader’s suspension of disbelief. This lesson will explore why rewrites are crucial to excavating and polishing your gem of a story.

3.) Merciless reading -- Spotting problem scenes and deciding on a solution.

4.) Hunting Holes -- Plugging pesky plot holes. “Oh, my God, this makes no sense! How am I going to fix this without throwing out the book?”

5.) Razor Blade Fangs -- Using emotion to give a dull scene big, sharp, pointy teeth.

6.) The Dance of Dialog – Adding interest and sparkle to flat dialog

7.) For God’s Sake, Tell a Joke – Snark, smartassery and sarcasm.

8.) Spicing up the sex – What to do about a love scene that just lies there.

9.) Tear Jerking – Depicting the character’s pain without getting maudlin.

10.) Blood, Sex and Romance -- Giving a fight scene maximum punch

11.) Down in the Dumps – Repairing info dumps.

12.) Fixing a shitty sentence: How to spot and fix sentences that stop readers in their tracks.
Author
Angela Knight
Start date
Feb 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM
End date
Mar 8, 2020 at 1:00 AM
Registration end date
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:00 AM
Rating
4.93 star(s) 101 ratings

More classes from Angela Knight

Latest reviews

Better late than never! This class was extremely valuable in helping me go back over my scenes with a fine-toothed comb to pick out what was wrong and fix it. Angela knows her craft and shares it in a clean, concise manner. Highly recommend!
I loved the specificity in this class! Using examples from her own writing and showing the editing process and the thought that went into each decision or change, Angela provided concrete examples of what to look for and how to approach editing. Extremely valuable class@
I hate editing! The course provided comprehensive editing tips with excellent examples. It was easy to follow and relevant to my needs. This workshop covered everything from sagging middles to sentence structure. Thank you Angela for sharing your knowledge and experience.