The Newbie Guide to Writing a First Series with Beth Daniels

Craft The Newbie Guide to Writing a First Series with Beth Daniels

New this year at SavvyAuthors!
  1. New!!
Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $30 & Basic Members $40

Register by May 6 and save $5, use code FIRSTSERIESDANIELS at checkout!
Category
  1. Indie Publishing
  2. Characters
  3. Description/Setting
  4. Editing
  5. Dialogue
  6. Structure
  7. Genre
  8. GMC
  9. Plotting
  10. POV
  11. Series
  12. Shorts/Novella
  13. Voice
  14. Worldbuilding
  15. Writer's Life
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
FIRSTSERIESDANIELS
When it comes to writing mysteries, there are probably far more that fall under the umbrella of being a series than there are those that are standalone titles. A series, after all, can suck readers into your fictional world and keep them coming back for more and more and more.

But writing a series has more elements than a standalone story does. A series requires more world building for a town or city, the community, the “staff” that returns in book after book. It requires a story arc that spans the series, tying elements together…like an as yet unsolved crime that has further clues (and red-herrings) surfacing while the characters solve the standalone mystery of each title under that story arc.

When I decided to turn to mystery and leave romantic-comedy behind – not comedy, just the romantic emphasis – it was to find I was faced with an entirely new learning curve. With a set up that, while familiar, was foreign to the way I worked. A Pantser needing to deal with a story arc? Impossible, I thought.

Turns out, it isn’t impossible. I could balance being both a Pantser and a partial plotter. If you’re like me, you can, too. If you’re already a plotter, well, juggling two plots in each story – one of which can’t be solved for a while yet – can get tricky.

That’s what THE NEWBIE GUIDE TO WRITING A FIRST SERIES is all about though. We’ll put out casting calls for main and non-main characters, for characters who return regularly in book after book. We’ll dream up what is needed for the story arc…and how it doesn’t have to be cast in concrete. We’ll create the world, the town, the cast and crew that keeps things moving from one title to the next. We’ll talk backstory and a heck of a lot more!

Been casting about in the rough seas of series creation? Then it’s time to drop anchor, set up the yurt, dock at the space port or step up to the bar (or tea shop or latte counter)…and get yourself on the yellow brick road to building the groundwork for writing your first series.
Author
Beth Daniels
Start date
May 15, 2019 at 7:06 AM
End date
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:00 AM
Registration end date
May 16, 2019 at 12:00 AM
Rating
4.97 star(s) 29 ratings

More classes from Beth Daniels

Latest reviews

This class was fantastic! Beth was absolutely willing to work with the ideas we presented and helped me take mine from a collection of story ideas to a real series that I'm looking forward to writing.
She explained things with examples and was great about answering and giving advice or expanding on our ideas.