Discussion Beyond Boot Camp Discussion

Tamsen Kaye

Ask me about my book submission!
Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Hey guys,
Figured we could use a thread to discuss and share plans for after boot camp, ways our team can continue working together and supporting one another. So here it is!

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Some thoughts Beyond Boot Camp:
I've given it some thought and decided to look into opening my own forums to host writing boot camps.
These would be re-existing for the most part, and themed, so you can jump in anytime and into an atmosphere condusive to whatever you're writing. From Christmas/seasonal/event stories to genre-specific themes, revision-centered, and more. Even if you're writing without a team, you can dive into a boot camp, and I'd provide as much coaching/feedback as possible.
I'm still in the drawing phase but it would open sometime in the first half of next year, hopefully the first quarter. :)
I don't know if Savvy is going to do their Revision Hell Boot Camp anytime soon, but I have two novels to revise in January. Barb is joining me, so if any of you other Passionistas want to reunite in the New Year for some editing fun and critique help, let me know! I'll put together a revision boot camp for us. (If I can't use Savvy, I'll find a place, possible a yahoo or Facebbok group, and keep you posted, but more than likely Savvy will let us hang out. :))
In December, I'm doing my goal setting for the coming year, and working on the doll photo story aspects of my YA brand. I'm PM'ing Angel to see of we can keep our team forum after boot camp. If you'd like some help getting your year-ahead set up, we can work together. I take Delilah Devlin's free planning course every year and can send you out a link; from there, you can sign up for her yahoo group.
Let me know your thoughts! And keep fighting the good fight- er, writing the good fight! Writing the good write?... just keep doing what you're doing! :)

Heidi Timmons

scribbler
Oct 17, 2013
I'd love to continue, Tamsen! I would love to actually keep doing exactly what we are doing in December. This is the most consistent I've been in over a year, and I'd love to keep the momentum going and finish my book before the baby arrives. I'm up for anything you have going on after boot camp. Please keep me posted. I think you have my email. Thanks for being such a great captain! Heidi

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Awesome, Heidi! Yup, I think December will be exactly like this- lots of support, discussion; we can still report in our daily progress to keep ourselves motivated and accountable. I'll try to bring back my Writer's Advent Calendar, too, for some goodies. :)

I'll PM Angel about keeping the team forum for January, and I'll work on some revision themed challenges and tips for our threads! Once I get things mapped out, I'll post an update sometime next week.

Last edited:

Barbara Bates

Instructor
Apr 11, 2010
Massachusetts
www.barbaralbates.com
Hi all (and you, too, Tamsen):
I'd like to keep this up in January and maybe beyond.

In December I plan to get the materials together to do a Savvy class next year. If anyone is interested, I'd like some feedback before I present it.

The tentative title is: Pardon my Handicap, Writing Believable Disabled Characters -- An Interactive Approach.

What I'd like to do with this class is to get the writer to get a better idea of what it feels like when you're disabled. (Hence, the interactive part.) But, I'd like to make sure what I'm trying to do makes sense. Which is why I'd like some help. That's where the rest of you come in.

Then in January, I'll go back to concentrating on Images,the book I'm writing this month.

Hope the rest of you want to join. Take care, Barbara

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Sounds great, Barbara. I think December's a great time for critiquing and goal setting. So we'll make a running list:

-Kathy and Barbara both need feedback on their workshops.
-Tamsen will be working on goal setting and structuring your year as an author for those who want to join.
-Heidi (and everyone) wants to continue on with what we've basically been doing so far. So the daily reporting thread and teamwork challenge will be ongoing.

How does this sound? (again a running list, more to come):

-Since it's Christmas, I'll redo my Author's Advent Calendar for some fun. And for the Daily Reporting, it doesn't have to be word counts- it can also be just progress updates on whatever project we're working on.
-I'll also set up Daily Challenge questions. I can do holiday themed questions, or regular ones, or a mix of both. Which would everyone prefer?
-Both Kathy and Barbara will have feedback threads for their workshop critiques.
-I'll email Kristie the news so she can drop in if she's able and wishes to do so.

A.C. Nixon

Premium Member
Feb 22, 2011
Playa Blance, Panama
Hi all (and you, too, Tamsen):
I'd like to keep this up in January and maybe beyond.

In December I plan to get the materials together to do a Savvy class next year. If anyone is interested, I'd like some feedback before I present it.

The tentative title is: Pardon my Handicap, Writing Believable Disabled Characters -- An Interactive Approach.

What I'd like to do with this class is to get the writer to get a better idea of what it feels like when you're disabled. (Hence, the interactive part.) But, I'd like to make sure what I'm trying to do makes sense. Which is why I'd like some help. That's where the rest of you come in.

Hope the rest of you want to join. Take care, Barbara
That sounds awesome. I've been wanting to write a hearing impaired hero for awhile.

I have friends coming the week of Christmas to New Year's so I really want to get as much done as possible before they arrive. I'd like to be/stay involved with the group.

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX
This all sounds good, Tamsen! I know that I need to focus on quilting my pieces together and working on the plot. I was thinking of using the YWriter software and Hemingway editing program to help me get a tightened version of whatever it is that I have. Plus, I have not re-read the 100k+ words for November, so that should be interesting.

Having said that, I don't know really where I fit in!

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Connie,

I'd suggest taking the planning workshop with me. It's not a huge workshop. One of the exercises helps you envision where you want to be as a writer and is tons of fun. I think it's a good next step for you. It's also completely free.

http://rosescoloredglasses.com

It's the Rose Writes 50 Books A Year workshop.
If you want to try signing up for the mindmapping-goals one that just ended, you may still be able to get in on those lessons too. You need to join the Yahoo groups, but the links are right there. :)
We can work together on the lessons here in our forum.

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX
Connie,

I'd suggest taking the planning workshop with me. It's not a huge workshop. One of the exercises helps you envision where you want to be as a writer and is tons of fun. I think it's a good next step for you. It's also completely free.

If you want to try signing up for the mindmapping-goals one that just ended, you may still be able to get in on those lessons too. You need to join the Yahoo groups, but the links are right there. :)
Joining Yahoo groups...so I need a Yahoo email account? Clueless.

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Um...apparently so. Let me look into it. :)

Yeah, it looks like you do. Sorry about that! It doesn't hurt though. Savvy has a Yahoo group as well. There's also an m/m writer's group and others you can join, so it's not a bad investment!

If you're unfamiliar with Yahoo groups, I have the lessons as Word files from the year before, so as long as people sign up (because the workshop isn't mine to give away), I think it'd be okay to send them to you, since you're enrolled anyway. You can find your way around the yahoo gourp system at your leisure then and just focus on the lessons in December with a workgroup here here. ;)

Last edited:

Kathy Frost

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA USA
I got a Yahoo mail account when I first signed up years ago, but you don't need to ever use it. When you sign up for a group, you set up if you want email notifications and it give you the option to use a Yahoo account or your regular email address.

Do make sure you write it down somewhere along with the password/username and email address you use. They are easy to forget if you don't use them regularly, believe me. I know.

Kathy Frost

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA USA

If you want to try signing up for the mindmapping-goals one that just ended, you may still be able to get in on those lessons too. You need to join the Yahoo groups, but the links are right there. :) We can work together on the lessons here in our forum.
Thanks for the link. I got my approval this morning and access to the mindmapping goals lessons. I can't wait until after NaNo to go through them. I have Scapple but I think I could put it to better use with mysteries if I learn more about mindmapping.

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Kathy, there was an image in the mindmapping lessons that wasn't showing for me- the one of Delilah's mindmap. It's no longer in the files section either. But I"m sure with the other links she posted we can figure it out.

The 50 Books workshop doesn't start until Dec 7, but I'm starting on the 1st. I have a word file from a previous year I can email out if anyone wants to start early, too. (As long as you're signed up- I know it's free but it's not my worskhop to give away, but if you're taking it anyway I don't see the harm. :)) Just PM me your email if you haven't already.

I don't know what may have changed since, so come Dec. 7th everyone should check in with the yahoo group and see what's new.

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Connie- posting here as I wasn't sure if you're familiar with the private message system.

This is the link to the old Savvy site.

http://ce.savvyauthors.com/

I mentioned before about the coaching and mentoring at Savvy. While I'm going to be working with you into next year (I promise!) I think a coach would be a huge benefit for you. You're just getting started as far as structuring your work and novels. A coach is available via email all virtually 24/7 and will have tons of experience to help with any questions you can concieve of. Had I known they existed years back when I first got into m/m, my Urban Fantasy series, it would've saved me time, energy, money spent on workshops I thought I needed, and a lot of second-guessing myself.

I work with June from our group. She's amazing! A few months back we had another author, Sascha Illiyvich (he does m/m as well as erotica), who would also be a good fit for your fiction. June has no trouble reading mine.

I will still be around, beta reading for you and helping you along, don't worry! But the mentors and coaches have more experience than I do, so I do reccomend signing up. The 2016 coaching programs aren't up yet, but I will keep you posted. I do plan to renew with June in January too (god help me if I still have no income then). :)

Tracey Turner

Premium Member
Jul 24, 2011
Australia
Hi All

I'd love to continue to keep writing with you and I would love to do some dritting also. Currently writing blind with no feedback.

December is a busy month but I do want to keep the writing flowing and make plans for 2016.

The disability workshop sounds terrific. As a writer with disabilities I enjoy seeing characters with disabilities and I must boast that two of my local Aussie authors have written two characters recently wth disabilities and they haven't gone downt he route of a miracle cure at the end. In fasct as I type this I remeber it was another book by an author who became a friend with a disabled child character that helped me to start writing.

If you can accommodate an Aussie I'm in

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Of course we can accomodate you, Tracey! :)

For planning, don't foregt you can join this free 50 Books A Year workshop: http://rosescoloredglasses.com/
It opens Dec. 7th, but if you want to start early, I can send you the old word file for the workshop. You'll need a Yahoo account to get started and to check in with that group in December for updates as my file is quite a few years old. :)

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX
Connie,

Tamsen, another SOS!! Trying to log into the Rose group. Took an hour but made a Yahoo account. So how do I connect the two if that makes sense?? We typed in her name (Rose....) inside of the Yahoo account and it did not take me to it.

SORRY I am so dense. I might as well sign up to learn Russian...the same amount of frustration. Didn't know you'd need 20 hands to hold Connie's one, did you? Me neither. The writing's fun, the computer is not.

Tamsen Kaye

Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Connie, no worries!

Use the word file I sent to get started on the lessons and we'll make sure we all have access when her workshop starts on the 7th.