How important are supporting characters in your books?

• necessary only for dialogue with the hero/heroine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welcome Melissa,

Is your realistic military from your personal experiences? I was in the Navy, so I notice when things are not protocol, as I am sure you do if you write realistic military in your writing.

See you around the water cooler.

Upvote 0
Hi to all newcomers, I joined a couple of months ago but consider myself new, still learning how to get around and post.

Participated in a pitch fest, it was fun and a great leaning experience. One agent requested something other than the manuscript I pitched but sad to say I didnt have anything completed like what she wanted.

I have a Blogg and Facebook page for Virgins, my yet to publish book. I have featured articles and books from other writers and sites. I am told they get good responses which surprises me because I hardly have any email sign-ups and very few comments. Will start doing some interviews soon.

My book, as I said is yet unpublished, I am looking for reader comments and willing to reciprocate. :love:

lrdavis
lrdavis
Welcome Marta,
I'm glad you have had the chance to participate.
To know how best to direct you, we need to know your genre and category. We have a number of classes and events through out the year that can put you on a team that has similar interests. This is like the November bootcamp for Savvy--the teams broke into similar veins and would be ideal for you if you got connected with like minded writers.
I don't know if it is still possible to join the nano bootcamp, but it might be worth a try.
Savvy has three-four events every year like the Pitchfest and writers events to learn writing. It is especially good to connect with people in your same predicament. Trading MSs in similar genres.
We also have SIGs (special interest groups) that can be a place to network.

Let us know and we can help guide you to the correct ones.
Lyn
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi LRDavis, thank you for the welcome.
Other than the technical writing I did at work, it was not until I retried that I started writing for publication. So far I have a few stories and a screenplay in progress. I also have published a few poems, freelanced for CBS Sacramento Arts&Entertainment and was Sacramento Populist for Examiner.com.
I am not interested in nano-boot camp, did nabo one year and don't want to do it again.
I am interested in classes and groups.
The book I am working on and want to publish is Virgins, fantasy/historical/paranormal about 60 thousand words.
Best.
Marta
Marta C. Weeks

Upvote 0
I mentioned bootcamp and other Savvy Special events because we are divided into teams. Teamwork draws people together.

In fact, most of the SIGs (Special Interest Groups) emerged out of people wanting to get together for the very purpose you spoke of--critiquing each other.

I'm in YA Avengers (which is a YA group) and has been closed to new members for a while.

If you are interested in drawing others into a group, talk about it in one of your classes and see if you can gather enough interest to submit a request to Savvy to create a Fantasy/Paranormal SIG that would give you a chance to exchange crits.

But like I said, the key way to get critiques is to work in a team of similar interests. I don't know if there will be teams with Fantasy Paranormal interests come out of this NaNo, but it may. You might go to the SIG Forum and ask if anyone would like to start a SIG with you.

I hope that helps.

Again, Welcome Marta,
Lyn

Upvote 0
Upvote 0