All things writing Hit A Brick Wall . . . help needed

janicemac

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
France
Determined to finish revisions on a manuscript (contemporary romance) I was making great progress until suddenly wham . . .I hit a brick wall and absolutely can't think. In the past (and a different country) I had writing friends I could call to talk me through these blocks/I did the same for them. Would love to find that same sort of thing here. Anyone? You'll save me from bingeing on junk food and hating myself!

janicemac

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
France
Hi Lynette, thanks. I'm having problems with revisions on the last three chapters. I want to make some changes from the first draft, rewrite and re-order some of the scenes, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Lynette4tie

scribbler
Oct 28, 2020
Oakland, ME
It might help to break everything apart and see why it's not working. Perhaps something happens that shouldn't happen or vice versa. Try taking a break for a few weeks to let your mind clear.

Leslie

Site Monkey
Savvy Crew
Savvy Super Mod
Savvy Mod
Instructor
Premium Member
Jun 26, 2014
wandering around...
lesliedowauthor.com
LinkedIn
lesliedow
Pinterest
leslieadow
I like Lynette's advice. It's also worked for me. When I do this I write down the elements on Post-it notes and use my wall as a plotting board. It lets me move the elements around and helps get me out of the detailed editing mode I drop into when I am stuck.

janicemac

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
France
Hi everyone, sorry for the belated reply, life has been a bit distracting lately:( Great suggestions though. I do know it helps to take a break--even overnight, things that seemed all wrong, don't look quite so bad after a night's sleep. I hope I've moved on from the brick wall; I ended up looking at the scenes that weren't working and writing out the goal and outcome for each one which helped clarify things. Thanks again, glad I found this site.

Reactions: 1 user