Jun 26, 2014
Northwest Illinois
www.lesliedow.com
LinkedIn
lesliedow
Pinterest
leslieadow
Leslie submitted a new Recommendation:

The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Write the Story Beneath the Surface by Donald Maass - In my opinion, connecting with feelings and emotions is key to storytelling.

View attachment 15160ABOUT THE EMOTIONAL CRAFT OF FICTION​

Engage Your Readers with Emotion

While writers might disagree over showing versus telling or plotting versus pantsing, none would argue this: If you want to write strong fiction, you must make your readers feel. The reader's experience must be an emotional journey of its own, one as involving as your characters' struggles, discoveries, and triumphs are for you.

That's where...

Read more about this Recommendation...

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Leslie submitted a new Recommendation:

The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Write the Story Beneath the Surface by Donald Maass - In my opinion, connecting with feelings and emotions is key to storytelling.

Read more about this Recommendation...
This is SO incredible, Leslie! I just met with Donald Maass at conference this summer, and I asked him about levelling up from the writing I'm doing now to possibly finding a way to get my work in front of the larger publishers, etc. He discussed (of course) his belief that levelling up required finding this deeper emotional level. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant. Imagine my delight to find this recommendation and that he has a book explaining it! LOL I should have known! Going to buy this book RIGHT NOW! :D
--Tracy

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is SO incredible, Leslie! I just met with Donald Maass at conference this summer, and I asked him about levelling up from the writing I'm doing now to possibly finding a way to get my work in front of the larger publishers, etc. He discussed (of course) his belief that levelling up required finding this deeper emotional level. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant. Imagine my delight to find this recommendation and that he has a book explaining it! LOL I should have known! Going to buy this book RIGHT NOW! :D
--Tracy
That sounds so cool! I went to one of his seminars a few years back at a local chapter RWA meeting. He is very inspiring. Maybe I better re-read his books!

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That sounds so cool! I went to one of his seminars a few years back at a local chapter RWA meeting. He is very inspiring. Maybe I better re-read his books!
I have one of his other books, and have found it very helpful. It's just so funny that this one was out there and I didn't even realize it. Yes, he's a great speaker. He's come to Realm Makers (conference for speculative Christian fiction) each year for the last few years, so I've been really fortunate to hear him a few times. This time I knew I wanted to get a pitch session just to pick his brain. :)

Upvote 0