Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
Central Arkansas
Post any and all motivation, daily writing reports, goals etc

Merlyssa

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
Central Arkansas
Every week I'm hopeful but so far I haven't been able to accomplish much from my goals. I'm still struggling with fatigue issues that cropped up last month and now that my minlaw (who is semi-disabled) is back home after a yr away, my household workload has gone up so I'm flagging and writing is losing out. again. And then I got bit by a tick on Fri so now I have to watch out for Rocky Mountain fever. Since I had it in the fall, I know the tics in my area have the disease.

So, anyway, no goals this week I think. I think it's going to be a rest week since I'm almost too tired to get out of bed.

I hope everyone else is doing better. Kathy? How are you doing? Barbara, how is your class going? It's this week isn't it?

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Ask me about my book submission!
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX
Every week I'm hopeful but so far I haven't been able to accomplish much from my goals. I'm still struggling with fatigue issues that cropped up last month and now that my minlaw (who is semi-disabled) is back home after a yr away, my household workload has gone up so I'm flagging and writing is losing out. again. And then I got bit by a tick on Fri so now I have to watch out for Rocky Mountain fever. Since I had it in the fall, I know the tics in my area have the disease.

So, anyway, no goals this week I think. I think it's going to be a rest week since I'm almost too tired to get out of bed.

I hope everyone else is doing better. Kathy? How are you doing? Barbara, how is your class going? It's this week isn't it?
I just looked and admired your water faucet, Merlyssa. You just popped in! Sorry to hear about your fatigue issues and everything else that is contributing to your basically lousy week. Hope you DO NOT catch Rocky Mountain fever.

I've chatted with Barbara but I, too, wondered about Kathy and Heidi (and the baby). I posted a smart-ass query for A.C. in her thread; wondering about her. And our new members...Julie and two others...are they checking in?

Okay, get well and stay well. I have put off going to the gym. You were my last delaying tactic.:) (That tree pollen must be making me blabbier today. It also causes me to make up words.) Have a better week, Merlyssa!

Tamsen Kaye

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
Hang in there, Merlyssa. I know just where you're coming from. Sometimes all you can do is rest up. And try not to think about writing at least for a day- free your mind. When you're fatigued but you have that nagging Muse pressuring you to get this done or that, it doesn't make things better. The creative spark and passion work best by reigniting when they're ready- catching you off guard with a stroke of inspiration- which doesn't usually happen when you stress about what you should be doing. Take a break and let it have a chance to sneak up on you. ;)

Tamsen Kaye

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2011
Alberta Canada
I actually made progress today. Sitting down at my desk with Word open progress. Daayumm, that feels good!

It was a very strange week. Odd dreams and lucid sleep all week. Had my first day of school yesterday (Thursday) and so far, it's great. We're *snicker* learning Microsoft Word.
We're working on laptops, which I'm not used to using much, and there are pre-assessment "tests" for every function. And the system is sooo finicky it drives me nuts.

How finicky, you ask? Well, the first "test" was to open Word. So I hit the Windows button, go to All Programs, click on Office, and all the Office programs pop up. Did I mention I'm not used to laptops, especially the touch pad mouse pad thingy? So I must've double-touched the pad on something else as I was moving down to Microsoft Word, and I get this big INCORRECT box pop up. And I exit to the lessons page whereupon I see that I just FAILED my pre-assessment on how to open Word, so I had to take the tutorial. :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Secondly, some of the buttons don't work in the pre-assessment. I had to delete a piece of text and the delete button wouldn't work. At that point, I was paranoid about that INCORRECT pop up flashing in my face, so I just skipped to the tutorial. I figured maybe there's some different way to delete that's "the right way" and hell if I'm going to fail just because I pressed cut or backspace. The tutorial wanted me to do exactly what I'd been trying to do, hit delete, but still the button wouldn't work, so I call my instructor over. She tells me that yes, stupidly, some of the buttons won't work in the pre-assessment. Methinks maybe the school just ought to update their systems, perhaps?

I failed a few more after that. The program expects you to do everything the way it wants- even deleting text- so you pretty much have to read its mind. But it's not unfair- you pass the post-assessment after the tutorial and you're fine, so no worries. It's just annoying as hell. When you ace the pre-assessment though, you don't even have to do the post assessment, which means a clear 100% on that point. Which is good. :)

Otherwise, my instructor (her name is Holly) is very nice and seems very approachable.

Rambling done, onto other things....I spent the day constructing the boot camp threads and challenges. Leslie is having Walker put up a Folder for us just for Camp NaNo, so as not to clutter up our main forums. I'm undecided on whether to post them temporarily in the NaNo 2015 folder, and then move them later. I still have work to do on my Camp NaNo story and I need a refresher on my series bible for my Urban Fantasy series- the last thing I wrote was a YA and a few Christmas musings. :)

Merlyssa

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
Central Arkansas
Oh boy! rofl at failing how to open word. Isn't technology fun sometimes! Hope it all turns out well though going forward.

Barbara Bates

Instructor
Apr 11, 2010
Massachusetts
www.barbaralbates.com
I actually made progress today. Sitting down at my desk with Word open progress. Daayumm, that feels good!

It was a very strange week. Odd dreams and lucid sleep all week. Had my first day of school yesterday (Thursday) and so far, it's great. We're *snicker* learning Microsoft Word.
We're working on laptops, which I'm not used to using much, and there are pre-assessment "tests" for every function. And the system is sooo finicky it drives me nuts.

How finicky, you ask? Well, the first "test" was to open Word. So I hit the Windows button, go to All Programs, click on Office, and all the Office programs pop up. Did I mention I'm not used to laptops, especially the touch pad mouse pad thingy? So I must've double-touched the pad on something else as I was moving down to Microsoft Word, and I get this big INCORRECT box pop up. And I exit to the lessons page whereupon I see that I just FAILED my pre-assessment on how to open Word, so I had to take the tutorial. :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Secondly, some of the buttons don't work in the pre-assessment. I had to delete a piece of text and the delete button wouldn't work. At that point, I was paranoid about that INCORRECT pop up flashing in my face, so I just skipped to the tutorial. I figured maybe there's some different way to delete that's "the right way" and hell if I'm going to fail just because I pressed cut or backspace. The tutorial wanted me to do exactly what I'd been trying to do, hit delete, but still the button wouldn't work, so I call my instructor over. She tells me that yes, stupidly, some of the buttons won't work in the pre-assessment. Methinks maybe the school just ought to update their systems, perhaps?

I failed a few more after that. The program expects you to do everything the way it wants- even deleting text- so you pretty much have to read its mind. But it's not unfair- you pass the post-assessment after the tutorial and you're fine, so no worries. It's just annoying as hell. When you ace the pre-assessment though, you don't even have to do the post assessment, which means a clear 100% on that point. Which is good. :)

Otherwise, my instructor (her name is Holly) is very nice and seems very approachable.

Rambling done, onto other things....I spent the day constructing the boot camp threads and challenges. Leslie is having Walker put up a Folder for us just for Camp NaNo, so as not to clutter up our main forums. I'm undecided on whether to post them temporarily in the NaNo 2015 folder, and then move them later. I still have work to do on my Camp NaNo story and I need a refresher on my series bible for my Urban Fantasy series- the last thing I wrote was a YA and a few Christmas musings. :)
Tamsen:
First, there's a way to disable the touchpad. I hate them, especially when it's at the bottom below the keys. Not all laptops are the same, so you should ask your instructor for the command. It should be a toggle; the first time it is off, then on, etc. Whoever thought of putting the touchpad below the keys should be shot. (I actually had something else in mind, but I couldn't put it here.)

And second, please, start a new thread or area or whatever for the new Nano-like stuff. I'm having a b*tch of a time finding threads now. I don't even want to contemplate threads starting out in one place and then moving to another. The main Savvy site is not compatible to adaptive equipment, the way other sites are. The keys I usually use to navigate around on a site don't work the way they should on Savvy. I don't need another complication. (Sighs, after beating head against wall.)

Happy and productive writing to all, Barbara

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX

LOL, Tamsen! You rock, girl! I think I've found my twin sister. I would be hyperventilating in that class though.

Connie Parrott

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2015
Houston, TX
Just wondering...what is that green thing on the upper left corner of my ghost picture? Did I get into trouble again? It looks like green bird poop. I need a photo, sigh. Tried last Nov. but neither hubby nor I could get one to work. That's okay, cuz I don't like looking at myself anyway.

Why do I pick 2 am to get caught up with you guys??

Everything seems to be in order, however. Carry on!:p