Rain Lee

Story Laureate
Dec 12, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello,
I would like to self publish the novel I have finished, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for any tips or information on how to get started. I would like to have a couple of printed editions for the few friends and family that refuse to read e-books, but have it as an e-book for anyone else. I have done some searching online but there are so many different sites I'm not sure where to start. I have also found people that say they will e-publish for you for a fee. I don't want to put my book and money in just anyone's hands so I'm looking for something that other people have used and swear by. Any help would be great. Thanks, Rain

Upvote 0
Hi Rain,

One of our Savvy workshops is working with a class with a mentor, June Diehl. She's a bonafide editor and has done work with many many writers.

I have not used her, because I am not as far along as you are.

I have taken many classes with her and learned a great deal.

There will be other workshops that do not involve as long a commitment, and will give you a chance to look around for a bit.

But it really will come down to what person works best with you. The person I need to edit my work may not be the same editor you need, since my issues might involve a plethora of things you don't need with your editing/polishing.

Check out the upcoming classes:
Design DIY
Self Editing

This should get you started on figuring out your best options. It takes time, of course, until you find your perfect match.

Lyn

Upvote 0
Thank you for that info. I am looking at several classes that will be starting this January to help me with writing some of my other novels I have in the works now. I am fortunate enough to have an editor in my family so my novel is passed all the final editing. I have my final draft and cover art but unsure of my next step in the self publishing process.

Upvote 0
Check out the Alliance of Independent Authors. I'm an author member and an affiliate. There is an membership fee, but I find it totally worthwhile for all the free info, free advice books, and free online sessions to guide you on the way to Indie publishing from people who have walked the walk. Three times a year, they have sponsored 24 hours of free sessions open to members and non-members. Sessions are recorded and available after the conferences on YouTube.

Reactions: 1 users
Leslie
Leslie
I've also heard good things about them. I was thinking of getting Savvy a membership. Have you been a member long, Janet?
Upvote 0
Janet Hartman
Janet Hartman
I've been an ALLi member almost a year. Before joining, I attended one or two of the free to anyone online conferences.
Upvote 0
lrdavis
lrdavis
@Janet Hartman
Thanks for sharing. You can post your recommendation of it at our Reviews under Documents in ESSENTIALS forum and others can post their agreement. :)
Anyone can post, even though it looks like only Leslie posts. She had to redo all our posts with the new site reboot.
I hope you add it.
Lyn
Upvote 0
Upvote 0