We love it here at SavvyAuthors.
And by “we” I all of us who work here, volunteer here and learn here. SavvyAuthors has been where many of us met good friends, made industry connections, and learned the essential skills that launched writing careers.
But just like we grow as authors, SavvyAuthors needs to grow, too. That’s why this summer we are rolling out some pretty spiffy new changes for SavvyAuthors!
SavvyAuthors is getting a new look, a new feel, and some GREAT new features. We’re keeping our best classes and adding new ones. Adding new adding new events and updating all the old favorites! For starters, We’ve already launched our Speed Dating for Crit Partners in January, and it was so well received that we are doing a new session starting in July. We know that getting ready for NaNo month can be hard and we’re working on a new event to make sure you are ready to go on NaNovember 1.
But wait! There’s more!
In about two weeks (around June 20) you are going to see some changes. Some I’ll discuss here and some, well you’ll have to wait to learn more about those.
We’ve been thinking of ways to make our site more useful. We’ve asked, “what other things we need do to help all of us in our writing careers?” After all, Dawn, RJ and I are all hardworking authors just like you. And just like you, we’re taking the plunge into Indie Publishing. So this summer we are launching a new complete site upgrade with a major new feature to support indie authors. And we’ve taken a good look around and are adding improvements to make the site prettier and easier to use.
A site upgrade!
The site upgrade will make it easier for you to attend classes, find useful ones, and review material in classes you have already taken. We’re thrilled about this as we are sure you will find our site far easier to navigate. It will be a bit of a one-stop shop, where you sign up for classes and then return to exactly where you signed up to take the class. You’ll also be able to very quickly find classes you have enrolled in and ones you might want to take, all from the same place.
A new set of features and events focused solely on IndieAuthors
We also know that many of you are considering becoming your own publisher and going Indie! We are too! Dawn McClure, who has rejoined SavvyAuthors after a writing hiatus is leading our Indie effort and helping us launch the IndieCafe! We’ll be talking about this more in the next few weeks and have some special offers cooking to celebrate the launch. Dawn, RJ, and I are all committed to pubbing Indie this year, join us at the IndieCafe for some coffee and fun!
But while you wait for the new stuff don’t miss the fantastic things going on RIGHT NOW!
Like…PitchFest Starts Next week!
Are you ready for our Hot Summer’s PITCHFEST?
We have a great selection of agents and editors who are looking for books just like your
How this whole Sweetheart Pitch thing works…
- You post your three-line pitch as a comment on our blog
- Nope, no registration is required.
- Nope, you do not have to be a SavvyAuthors member. (But it is free and if you sign up for a free account we’ll update you as Pitch time approaches!)
And don’t miss our classes this month!
Starting the Week of June 11
- Supernatural Scoundrels and How to Write Them with Jimmy Morris ~ June 11 – June 24
- To Be or Not to Be and Other Editing Quandaries with Cindy Vallar ~ June 11 – July 8
- Openings & Hooks with Kathy Otten ~ June 11 – July 8
- Scrivener Scene by Scene with Ines Johnson ~ June 11 – July 8
- The Road to Publication: Queries, Synopses, and More! with Chanel Cleeton ~ June 11 – July 8
- Take a Walk on the Wild Side with Dr. Cynthia Clark ~ June 11 – July 8
Starting the Week of June 18
- Novel Writing 101: Worldbuilding with Terri Main ~ June 18 – July 1
- Dead Right with Geoff Symon ~ June 18 – July 1
- Create Characters with Sandy Vaile ~ June 18 – July 15
- FINDING EMO (AKA Feelings, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Feelings) with Robyn DeHart ~ June 18 – July 8
- The First Five Pages with Laura Drake ~ June 18 – July 1
- WEBINAR: Fresh Idea in a Crowded Marketplace with Entangled Publishing’s CEO Liz Pelletier ~ June 20 @ 9-11 p.m. EST
Starting the Week of June 25
- Beginnings with Becky Martinez ~ June 25 – July 8
- The Beginning, Middle, and End Series with Becky Martinez ~ June 25
- Serializing: Using the Structure of Episodic Television to Craft Your Serialized Novel with Ines Johnson ~ June 25 – July 22
- Learn to Write Nonfiction with Jacqueline Lipton ~ June 25 – July 22
- Creating Our Next Myths with Pamela Jaye Smith ~ June 25 – July 22
Thanks for reading and see you around the site!
Leslie Dow, SavvyAuthors’ Site Director
- The site director and owner of SavvyAuthors.com where she sits behind the curtain most days turning interweb knobs and twisting network dials.
- A complete and total slacker-writer who, if she does not get off her laurels and WRITE, is going to be flayed by the very talented writers who keep SavvyAuthors going.
- A rabid hiker who, when not on the trail, pours over the REI catalog, Sierra Trading Post website, and tries to justify buying more gear to shave another 1/2 ounce off her base pack weight.
- A medical device consultant who, when not hiking or thinking about hiking, occasionally works helping companies bring exceptionally cool and useful medical devices to market.
- A biology and chemistry Adjunct Professor at SouthMountain Community College. GO COUGARS!
- An enthusiastic grandmother of the two cutest babies on the planet!!!!
OK, I’m out..time to sort the latest crisis is to afflict SavvyAuthors ;-).