Story summary vs. synopsis vs. logline, OH MY!
Maybe better said as “OH *&^%%##!!!” Right?
With the summer conferences barrelling toward us, we’re all worried about writing that perfect pitch…and summary and synopsis and logline.
Well, we dove into the SavvyAuthors archives and found some of the best articles from our instructors and members to help you along. Just click through to articles from writers just like you who have figured this out!
- Taming The Dreaded Synopsis by Carol J. Post
- Carol walks you through her simple formula for crafting a killer synopsis and then gives us an example based on her own book, Midnight Shadows!
- The 12-Points of a Sexy Synopsis by Shannon Donnelly
- Shannon gives you her 12-point system to use to assess your synopsis. Hit all the points and you are good to go!
- From Idea to Log Line to Synopsis by Sally J. Walker
- Sally explains the differences between the three and why each is important to the people you are selling your story to, then she walks you through a step-by-step guide to writing a selling logline!
- Synopsis in a Snap by Mary Hughes
- Mary has a sure-fire method to break down anyt story and reconstitute the essence in a synopsis! She walks you through this using the Wizard of Oz as an example!
- Loglines – Essential if Querying or Self-Publishing by Laura Drake
- We love Laura and so do her readers! Laura is a pro at writing great loglines and she lays out her method with some excellent examples!
- How to Write the Perfect Plot Summary for Your Query By Meg LaTorre
- Meg walks you through the key elements of a plot summary and then gives you a few more tips to get it just right!
So there you have it! Your nifty on-line reference for loglines, summaries, and synopses. We hope you find this helpful and if you do please share it with your writer friends!
Keep on writing!
SavvyAuthors Site Director