Build A Book THIS Summer with Brenda Chin

Craft Build A Book THIS Summer with Brenda Chin

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $125 & Basic Members $150

Register by May 29th and save $5, use code BUILDABOOKTHISSUMMERCHIN2023 at checkout!
Category
  1. Characters
  2. Description/Setting
  3. Editing
  4. Dialogue
  5. Structure
  6. Genre
  7. GMC
  8. Plotting
  9. POV
  10. Writer's Life
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
BUILDABOOKTHISSUMMERCHIN2023
Class Length
10 Weeks
Work with an award-winning editor with 35 years of experience (and best-sellers) and get YOUR book plotted, written, and ready to pitch this fall!

In this 10-week extended course, you will:
  • Learn what to do before you write
  • Work effectively with industry-standard tools like beat sheets and storyboards
  • Create complex, memorable characters
  • Understand and choose the right point of view
  • Learn how to write compelling, believable conflicts
  • Self-editing and much more

Brenda will also provide two comprehensive critiques of your writing and story.

Learn what others said about Brenda’s previous classes:

Cynthia Capley ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Dec 8, 2021
Excellent class. There is a lot of information presented in the lessons. They’re going to be a useful resource for any future books I need to plot. Brenda answered my questions during the course and provided helpful feedback.

Kathleen McMahon ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Feb 14, 2021
Building a book is a lot like building a house. You need good bones. This course breaks down the Acts, and Beats of good story. ( The back bone .) It's my new roadmap for writing. It shows you how to create a storyboard and layer your story based on strong plot and character arcs. Recommended for all writers and all stages.

Don’t miss this great opportunity to work with Brenda to build your book!

Learn the tricks of the trade from an industry professional who has seen--and fixed--it all. While writers tend to focus on trends and tropes, they often forget about the important things--story, characterization, voice. And those are the things that keep readers turning the pages.

Brenda Chin has worked in the romance industry for 35 years. During her many years with Harlequin, she had the opportunity to work with some of the best writers in the business, often buying their first book. Several of the 74 new authors Brenda introduced to Harlequin have gone on to hit the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists. Now she’s a freelance editor who works with several publishing companies, as well as people who find her through her website—www.brendachin.com.
Syllabus

Critiques will be offered after week 1 and after week 10.

This workshop will cover the following:
1) You have an idea. Now what? Things to know before you start. Creating a storyboard
2) Creating complex characters, GMC
3) Intro to the Beat Sheets--Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat, Alexandra Sokoloff’s Stealing Hollywood, Gwen Hayes’ Romancing the Beat). Getting started--Act 1
4) Understanding Point of View
5) Act 2A – Getting the action started
6) Creating conflict
7) Act 2B – Where things get interesting
8) Act 3 – Where you pull it all together
9) Layering
10) Next Steps – Self-editing, choosing the right publishing path, etc.
Class Format

Savvy Authors' workshops are held on a forum: a bulletin board based system. You will receive a reminder notice one day prior to the start of the workshop that includes instructions on how to access the workshop forum. If you have not received instructions by the day the workshop begins, please check your spam filter.

The forum will be available the morning (EST) of the day the workshop starts and will remain accessible to all participants thereafter. You will also be given simple instructions on how to create a PDF of all your discussions along with our privacy and data retention policy.
Author
Brenda Chin
Start date
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:00 AM
End date
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:33 AM
Registration end date
Jun 7, 2023 at 6:00 PM
Rating
4.70 star(s) 10 ratings

More classes from Brenda Chin

Latest reviews

Brenda went over every important aspect of writing a novel, from character development, conflict, arc, pacing and how to weave these together to tell a powerful story. My writing is better because of her.
This class was great! Ms. Chin's lectures provided a deep dive into Blake Snyder's beat-by-beat plotting technique, with detailed explanations and interesting examples. While focusing on story structure, the lectures also included material on writing point of view, developing interesting characters, and building multi-dimensional scenes. I highly recommend this class to anyone looking for a boost of writing incentive.
The lessons were comprehensive and included much-needed information. Ms Chin covered everything from plotting to fixing a sagging middle. It's the kind of material I'll review every time I hit a rough spot. Thanks so much for doing the heavy lifting.
The Build a Book class was very valuable in creating a novel roadmap for my next work. Brenda Chin's step-by-step lectures were clear and the examples and videos were helpful to see how the 3-act structure ties a story together.