• Hi all! This is Mike Creuzer. I am currently working on a proper announcement, but wanted to make sure there was a notice posted that we are turning the ship around! Stay tuned!
  • What Classes Are You Interested In Seeing?

We're looking at getting classes started up again and we wanted to get your thoughts on classes you'd like to see. Please let us know in the survey below

View survey

Intros & Newbies AMA: Hello!

Mike Creuzer

Author
  • May 30, 2023
    Hi there,

My name is Mike, and I am interested in helping our, partnering, or taking over Savvy! I am posting this thread to see if there is anyone who wants me to be involved or not. Please message me on LinkedIn or DM me here if:
    1. You would like to help moderate or manage
    2. You would like to run some classes
    3. You have some ideas for the future
    4. You think I would be better off finding a different hobby :ROFLMAO:
    A bit about me:

I'm from the Chicago, IL area. I went through the system growing up. Got into Harry Potter and Tolkien at a young age, and started going online to many message boards and digital communities. I founded some of my own communities. Early on I wore all the hats, such as editing people's fanfics, articles, and posts, graphic design, web design, etc. Eventually I focused a lot on engineering and web and founded Audentio, a digital agency, which has a bit over a dozen or so team members from around the world specializing in online community building and management.

What must be some 6-8 years by now, our team built some of the tools used here at Savvy today. We've been around behind the scenes helping with managing the server and web hosting (the energy company so to speak), building the web interface here (the foundation and interior design of the house, as it were), and the lessons system (Im out of analogies :D). In general we've been around, but just as hired help. We would stop in from time to time, and always loved seeing everyone and the care they put into this community.

The reality is that communities like this are becoming far more rare. More and more platforms like this are bought by data/AI companies, their user data fed to the models. And while this may just be the way of the world, I feel it my responsibility to help communities stay open, democratic and free wherever possible. So I have offered to step in in some capacity to rebuild Savvy, continue it, or perhaps do nothing at all... and that is why I post here today, to see what you the community members would like out of me.

So maybe an AMA might be a good idea? Ask Me Anything. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

• Happy
    Reactions: 9 users
    Upvote 0
    I think many would be interested in seeing Savvy continue. Would the structure be the same or similar to the existing site? I assume so as you are the ones who built/maintained it. The authors who have been teaching many may wish to continue. The person who has been the moderator is wonderful and yes I think if people knew you were willing, people would be interested.

Reactions: 1 users
    Upvote 0
    I'm hoping SA will continue. It's an awesome community for writers. I've been a member and teaching workshops/classes here since 2010. I also promoted the idea of three-month mentoring/coaching sessions where I work with writers one-on-one (around 2011/2012 after I became a certified coach).

I would love the chance to continue the workshops/classes and the mentoring/coaching sessions. Crossing my fingers that will happen.

And I had an upcoming class that was scheduled for the beginning of August that I'm excited about so that writers can learn more about AI and how it might be used ethically in their writing process. I was looking forward to having a safe place for diverse discussions.

Reactions: 2 users
    Upvote 0
    Man I'd love for this site to continue. I spent the weekend looking for a similar platform and nothing quite fits the bill. The lessons learned, the flexibility, affordability, and access to the instructors who are all highly qualified has been incredibly beneficial to my writing. Not sure what we'll all do if SA does close down for good. It's such a great community.

Upvote 0
    Hey Mike,
    Please help whoever wants to buy Savvy Authors. I have not been the most active member, but when I have participated, I have significantly benefited from the classes and the camaraderie. I hope Savvy survives because, as you said, 'The reality is that communities like this are becoming far more rare.' Unlike other writers' websites that are more expensive, Savvy is affordable and its offerings are plentiful. Savvy Authors is a unique and accessible community of writers, and I hope it survives the buying and selling process.

Upvote 0
    Hi Mike,

Savvy Authors has helped me immensely in the time I have been here and I am constantly holding it up as an example of the powerful good an online writing community can do! I've been a member since 2020 and teaching workshops/classes here since 2021. I would love the chance to continue the workshops/classes and am happy to help in anyway I can!

Upvote 0
    Hi Mike,

I'm a long-time Savvy Authors member who was planning on designing some courses for the site this year. I was really shocked by the news the site was closing, and other folks I know who also have taken courses here were similarly shocked. I think there would be support from the community to keep the site open and available as a resource for fellow writers.

• Agree
    Upvote 0
    Hi all! I think something happened where I was unable to login. Not sure if anyone else was affected but that is the reason for my late reply.

I think many would be interested in seeing Savvy continue. Would the structure be the same or similar to the existing site? I assume so as you are the ones who built/maintained it. The authors who have been teaching many may wish to continue. The person who has been the moderator is wonderful and yes I think if people knew you were willing, people would be interested.

I think we'd start with something similar. New platform overall, but same forums to begin. And that is wonderful to hear.

I'm hoping SA will continue. It's an awesome community for writers. I've been a member and teaching workshops/classes here since 2010. I also promoted the idea of three-month mentoring/coaching sessions where I work with writers one-on-one (around 2011/2012 after I became a certified coach).

I would love the chance to continue the workshops/classes and the mentoring/coaching sessions. Crossing my fingers that will happen.

And I had an upcoming class that was scheduled for the beginning of August that I'm excited about so that writers can learn more about AI and how it might be used ethically in their writing process. I was looking forward to having a safe place for diverse discussions.

Thank you so much for sharing that!

Man I'd love for this site to continue. I spent the weekend looking for a similar platform and nothing quite fits the bill. The lessons learned, the flexibility, affordability, and access to the instructors who are all highly qualified has been incredibly beneficial to my writing. Not sure what we'll all do if SA does close down for good. It's such a great community.

I know we are working on seeing if we can make it work, but this helps make me feel good about my interest!

Hey Mike,
    Please help whoever wants to buy Savvy Authors. I have not been the most active member, but when I have participated, I have significantly benefited from the classes and the camaraderie. I hope Savvy survives because, as you said, 'The reality is that communities like this are becoming far more rare.' Unlike other writers' websites that are more expensive, Savvy is affordable and its offerings are plentiful. Savvy Authors is a unique and accessible community of writers, and I hope it survives the buying and selling process.

Agreed. And Ill do what I can.

Hi Mike,

Savvy Authors has helped me immensely in the time I have been here and I am constantly holding it up as an example of the powerful good an online writing community can do! I've been a member since 2020 and teaching workshops/classes here since 2021. I would love the chance to continue the workshops/classes and am happy to help in anyway I can!

Appreciate that. If I am around Ill do what I can to make sure things improve and continue the community. Clearly there is something special here!

Hi Mike,

I'm a long-time Savvy Authors member who was planning on designing some courses for the site this year. I was really shocked by the news the site was closing, and other folks I know who also have taken courses here were similarly shocked. I think there would be support from the community to keep the site open and available as a resource for fellow writers.
    Appreciate that feedback. I imagine it has been hard on many. :(

Upvote 0
    MIke,

Please step in and save this great site! Use what has been working, and try some new things. I have loved courses I have taken, but would also love to see some in areas that aren't covered as much as I would like. I would love to see some classes on Steampunk, Science Fiction, Horror and other genres. Maybe classes on how to turn your novel into a screenplay. Great people and teachers on here. Definitely worth preserving.

Pam

Upvote 0
    Hi there,

My name is Mike, and I am interested in helping our, partnering, or taking over Savvy! I am posting this thread to see if there is anyone who wants me to be involved or not. Please message me on LinkedIn or DM me here if:
    1. You would like to help moderate or manage
    2. You would like to run some classes
    3. You have some ideas for the future
    4. You think I would be better off finding a different hobby :ROFLMAO:
    A bit about me:

I'm from the Chicago, IL area. I went through the system growing up. Got into Harry Potter and Tolkien at a young age, and started going online to many message boards and digital communities. I founded some of my own communities. Early on I wore all the hats, such as editing people's fanfics, articles, and posts, graphic design, web design, etc. Eventually I focused a lot on engineering and web and founded Audentio, a digital agency, which has a bit over a dozen or so team members from around the world specializing in online community building and management.

What must be some 6-8 years by now, our team built some of the tools used here at Savvy today. We've been around behind the scenes helping with managing the server and web hosting (the energy company so to speak), building the web interface here (the foundation and interior design of the house, as it were), and the lessons system (Im out of analogies :D). In general we've been around, but just as hired help. We would stop in from time to time, and always loved seeing everyone and the care they put into this community.

The reality is that communities like this are becoming far more rare. More and more platforms like this are bought by data/AI companies, their user data fed to the models. And while this may just be the way of the world, I feel it my responsibility to help communities stay open, democratic and free wherever possible. So I have offered to step in in some capacity to rebuild Savvy, continue it, or perhaps do nothing at all... and that is why I post here today, to see what you the community members would like out of me.

So maybe an AMA might be a good idea? Ask Me Anything. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Upvote 0
    Excited for the continuation of SavvyAuthors and looking forward to the future! I've taken a lot of the classes, which have been varied and extremely helpful. I'm more of a lurker than active participant, but after the sadness I felt when I thought SA was going away, I think I'm going to branch out and possibly even see about offering some classes. My fields are television and indie productions. Thank you for keeping this wonderful community alive! Cheers!

• Friendly
    Upvote 0
    I definitely miss hanging out with all the writers who've been part of my workshops at Savvy Authors. Count me among those who would be very glad to have it back.

Beth Daniels, aka Beth Henderson, J.B. Dane, Nied Darnell

• Friendly
    Upvote 0