I have just started writing again after many months. (Broke my ankle!) That said, I was sporadic at best, prior to that.

I am now working on a new book, and the plan is for it to be the first in a series. (I've never written a series before, so that could be interesting.)

My goal is 1,000 words per days. Most days I've written around 1,300 to 1,600 so pretty happy with that. I've only had one day where I've not reached my goal, and that was 737 words.

The aim is to write a novella of around 25,000 to 30,000 words every three months maximum.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Excellent goal, Cheryl!

I am going to move your post into your own thread so you can track it there.

:)

Be sure to join us in the chatroom. I've been sick lately and slacking but I have a book to edit this week so will be in there every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Second book in the series is now done and dusted! (And published.)

I was invited to write a novella for another series, with a group of wonderful writers, so I'll be starting that in a day or two. Decided to take a few 'me' days before I began.

I have to say, having a goal of writing a minimum word count per day (in my case 1,000 words) has opened up a whole new world for me.

I cannot believe I've written 40,000 words in the past two months. Previously I'd be lucky to write that in six months, or even a year!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An update for those interested.

I have now written (since August), three books in the one series - just finished book three a couple of days ago. It is set to be released by the end of the week.

The book I was invited to write has been written and released some time ago. It is part of the Soiled Doves series. I'm about to start writing another book for that series.

(So since August, I've written four books, or close to 80,000 words! A miracle for me.)

It's so strange. Changing genres has given me an entirely new lease on my writing life. I was ready to give it all away as I felt totally uninspired.

I now have four more books on my Amazon book shelf, and a whole new group of followers. Writing western romance (both contemporary and historical) has been so much more rewarding for me.

I've had to do a lot of research for the historical books, but I enjoyed that too.

I have discovered that if I write daily (my goal), I can write a novella in three weeks. And that's writing 1,000 words a day! I wrote almost 4,000 a few days ago, to finish off my book. And what's more, I had no idea I'd written that much until I stopped and checked!

Leslie
Leslie
Wow, Cheryl, that is wonderful! I bet changing genre has been indeed interesting! I did that a while back from SF and YA-SF to contemporary romance.

Quick question for you. I have a friend who is starting off self-pubbing and having a devil of a time finding an editor..any suggestion for how she can do this?

Thanks!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@lesliedow

Thanks so much. Yes, it's interesting alright. I can't believe I've had such a miraculous new lease on my writing life.

To get a good editor, you probably need personal referrals. I don't think I'd want to just go with anyone I found on the internet. It's not cheap, and you want to spend your money well.

As it happens, I have a friend who is an editor. I have known her personally (as in, real life friend) for over 15 years. She is an excellent editor, and I'm sure your friend will find her really good.

Here's her FB page: Serena Sandrin Editing Services

The other thing your friend could do is ask for referrals on FB. She's sure to get plenty of editors put forward. (I worked as an editor for two publishing houses for two years, but don't do it any more.)

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0