Elkin Hardcoves

Story Laureate
Jun 17, 2018
United States
Greetings all, since you don’t know me, I feel it necessary to mention something relatively important up front: I’m blind. While this certainly is not the most important aspect of who I am, it does serve as a major characteristic, especially for dealing with the internet. I use a program called a Screen-reader, which means I interact with my computer and this site rather differently than most. I’m informing you of this, as when dealing with any site for the first time there is a great deal of learning that has to take place, since each site has slightly different coding, and code impacts me far more than the more traditional Graphical User Interface user. Mistakes are to be expected, and questions are more than likely; your patients are greatly requested. I feel this is absolutely vital that you all are made aware of this, since it will help explain perhaps what might appear to be on the surface as very silly errors on my part, when viewed from the perspective of someone using the site as a sighted user, when I am not. So that question, which might have an obvious answer for someone that has vision, might be totally its antithesis for someone that does not.
Having said all this: I heard of this site from a scribophile member, and have heard that changes were made by the site owner in reaction to my initial difficulties with the site when first attempting to join. I am exceedingly grateful to whoever that individual is that made the site alterations, which allowed me to join. I eagerly anticipate a rich learning experience and thank you for your time, respectfully, Elkin.

Upvote 0
Hey Elkin!

So glad you made it! You are doing great so far.

I am a moderator here and if you have any questions, you need only ask. PM me by clicking on the box to the left of this box which includes the avatar. It will open a little window that gives you multiple choices--one of which will be to start a private message. That gets you to a message box opening so you can type your questions directly.

I will also include my email -- as I do for all my classes I moderate -- in case you have any issues and you need direct help: [email protected]

We don't have forums as we do on Scribophile.com but we have a number of events in addition to classes, available to Premium members, throughout the year.

Just a heads up. The classroom design and access are currently undergoing a change and it should be much easier to navigate. But it won't start right away.

There are a couple of SIGs (special interest groups) that have been formed for more intimate and private interaction. That is where crits are most often shared here. No Karma is needed.

I participate in a NaNoLit group and a Kidlit group.

As for Savvy, I have learned much from the Author-Instructors who offer their services at the internet's most reasonable cost for personal interaction in classes.

Welcome to Savvy Authors!

Your friend,
Lyn Davis

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0