Good morning all!
Just found this site from a random name drop in a Becca Syme video!
I'm a brand new mystery author, fleshing out 1st rough draft currently.
Looking forward to joining up with others on their writing journeys!
Michelle
Welcome and Happy Holidays!
It's our sleepy time of the year but we are gearing up for great 2023!

Upvote 0
Good morning all!
Just found this site from a random name drop in a Becca Syme video!
I'm a brand new mystery author, fleshing out 1st rough draft currently.
Looking forward to joining up with others on their writing journeys!
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
I was happy to see this thread for Newbies! I'm new to Savvy Authors but not new to writing stories. I have been writing since I was eight years old. Telling stories through words has always been a passion of mine. Reading books taught me that you can be anywhere in the world (or off-world) and never have to leave your bedroom.

I'm not sure which genre my writing would fall under, but Christian Fiction is always what I put down when I'm asked. Just saying those two words together sounds like an oxymoron. Christian speaks of truth, and fiction is something not true. It's a real thing, though. I write stories about family, life, love, everyday drama, and second chances.

I'm not preachy, but my stories always show that faith in something bigger than yourself brings hope. Hope is a powerful thing. You only need a tiny bit to get you through the darkest times. Faith, hope, and love are three connectors in life, and no matter what, chaos and carnage are going on around us if we have one of those... Well, magic and miracles can happen.

I'm working on two novels (both at the halfway point) and can't seem to move forward. I'm stuck. Also working on a compilation of short stories, which I'm loving! I hope to complete and publish all of these by the end of 2023. That's a BIG goal, possibly unrealistic, but a girl has a try!

Looking forward to honing my skills and learning from others.

Pam T

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome Leslie!
I'm also a planner nerd, so I've been using this time to set up some goals and milestones for 2023...
Do you have anything you're shooting for next year?
Michelle
My goals for next year around writing are to work on a daily writing goal. I spend a lot of time around writers and helping writers but my own fiction writing has really suffered in the past couple of years. So THIS YEAR...daily writing goal. Last time I did this I used an app called "don't break the chain" it allowed me to log that I did something every day. Don't Break the Chain! Amazingly this cool little app is still around. I think I will use it this year.
Looks like it has been a while since I have logged in and used this. LOL.

1672082033487.png

Upvote 0
I am also trying to put in some work on getting my first novel out there, and polishing my second to start to get it ready to query. Would be open to working on pitches as well since Pitchfest is in something like six weeks
I highly recommend Angela Knight's Polish Your Pitch Event for getting your pitch ready for Pitchfest. I did the even before the Autumn PItchfest and it was so helpful. Here's the link if you're interested:

Upvote 0
Hi Michelle,
I was happy to see this thread for Newbies! I'm new to Savvy Authors but not new to writing stories. I have been writing since I was eight years old. Telling stories through words has always been a passion of mine. Reading books taught me that you can be anywhere in the world (or off-world) and never have to leave your bedroom.

I'm not sure which genre my writing would fall under, but Christian Fiction is always what I put down when I'm asked. Just saying those two words together sounds like an oxymoron. Christian speaks of truth, and fiction is something not true. It's a real thing, though. I write stories about family, life, love, everyday drama, and second chances.

I'm not preachy, but my stories always show that faith in something bigger than yourself brings hope. Hope is a powerful thing. You only need a tiny bit to get you through the darkest times. Faith, hope, and love are three connectors in life, and no matter what, chaos and carnage are going on around us if we have one of those... Well, magic and miracles can happen.

I'm working on two novels (both at the halfway point) and can't seem to move forward. I'm stuck. Also working on a compilation of short stories, which I'm loving! I hope to complete and publish all of these by the end of 2023. That's a BIG goal, possibly unrealistic, but a girl has a try!

Looking forward to honing my skills and learning from others.

Pam T
Hey Pam,
Glad to hear from you! Are you part of a critique group or do you have a partner to help you get unstuck? Hopefully some of the short story momentum will spill over into your novel-writing! I was also an avid reader at a very young age, what a blessing that was!
Take care,
Michelle

Upvote 0
My goals for next year around writing are to work on a daily writing goal. I spend a lot of time around writers and helping writers but my own fiction writing has really suffered in the past couple of years. So THIS YEAR...daily writing goal. Last time I did this I used an app called "don't break the chain" it allowed me to log that I did something every day. Don't Break the Chain! Amazingly this cool little app is still around. I think I will use it this year.
Looks like it has been a while since I have logged in and used this. LOL.

View attachment 14597
Leslie,
LOL @ 2976 days!!! :-D
I use a habit tracker in my journal, there's just something about being able to cross it off that really does it for me!
Good for you for honoring your own writing!
Take care,
Michelle

Upvote 0
I am also trying to put in some work on getting my first novel out there, and polishing my second to start to get it ready to query. Would be open to working on pitches as well since Pitchfest is in something like six weeks
I'm pretty excited to virtually "peek over everyone's shoulder" as they go through getting published...will you be looking into self-publishing at all?
Take care,
Michelle

Upvote 0
Hey Pam,
Glad to hear from you! Are you part of a critique group or do you have a partner to help you get unstuck? Hopefully some of the short story momentum will spill over into your novel-writing! I was also an avid reader at a very young age, what a blessing that was!
Take care,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
No, I am not a part of a critique group, nor do I have a partner. I would love to be a part of a group, though.

Upvote 0
Wow, thanks! How's it going with pitching your first novel?
Meh, I had one hit at the last pitchfest but we were not a good fit. I've been using querytracker and trying to get query letters out regularly. Am meeting with a friend in the industry to get tweaks on the letter. I signed up for the prep class that starts next week and am curious to see how that turns out.

Upvote 0
Hello! I am new to Savvy Authors, but am super excited to join the community. I have embarked on a crazy journey to write a short fantasy series. Two books in, I am realizing I should have planned better. Currently seeking an agent, I am looking forward to advice / feedback on my pitch once I join those conversations.

Upvote 0
Hello! I am new to Savvy Authors, but am super excited to join the community. I have embarked on a crazy journey to write a short fantasy series. Two books in, I am realizing I should have planned better. Currently seeking an agent, I am looking forward to advice / feedback on my pitch once I join those conversations.
I know a couple of editors for when you are ready. Planning is key, I'm assuming you would want at the very least the synopsis for all three sections of the trilogy and a finished first volume before querying?

Upvote 0
I know a couple of editors for when you are ready. Planning is key, I'm assuming you would want at the very least the synopsis for all three sections of the trilogy and a finished first volume before querying?
Thank you, jrgoetz, that would be awesome! Yes, I wish I could have planned better, but I'm doing my research now. I've got a synopsis overall and for the first book, as well as an edited first volume. Truth is, I'm a perfectionist and I keep wanting the work to be better :)

Upvote 0