WMARC

Prose Wrangler
Jan 24, 2019
Hi everyone! Working on the first draft of a romance novel set on Cape Cod. I welcome any and all tips, hints, etc. I'm having difficulty just writing "fast and hot" to get the story done. I get bogged down revising as I go. I do have a question about my setting...it's set in Chatham, Mass. I'm using some actual names such as beaches, etc., but am using fake names for real establishments. Is this the correct way to handle this?

Upvote 0
Hi WMARC,

Welcome! It's so exciting to be working on a first draft. Go you!

I also get bogged down in revisions as I write. I've tried so many methods to break myself of the habit but just can't kick it. As a result, it takes forever to get a rough draft BUT that draft is very clean. So....six of one, half a dozen of another. Some people have the amazing ability to write fast and clean, but I everyone's process if different so don't feel bad if you can't manage to turn off your internal editor.

For fake names versus actual names, I think it depends. (Isn't that helpful?!) If you use a real establishment, then you have to describe that establishment correctly because some of your readers might actually live in that place and go there. It also makes a difference what you are saying about the establishment. I write murder mysteries, so I have to be careful not to disparage a place by making the owner a suspect, etc. On the other hand, some authors have asked the restaurant they want the murder to take place in and the owners have been thrilled. It all depends on how it's portrayed, I think, and how much research you want to do. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0