vickieleah

Visionary
Apr 21, 2010
Calgary, AB Canada
Do any of you use writing software?
What do you use?
What is the benefit?
I currently have note books and word documents that I need to get organized.
Thank you for your feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
HazeAuthor
HazeAuthor
The free ones that I use:
Hemingway
Grammarly

The Paid ones that I upgraded too:
Prowritingaid
Grammarly

The paid versions literally changed my book for the better.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have been using Scrivener for a year or so now. I love being able to see things on a sort of cork board, and see summaries of each chapter. It can be tricky to work out how to use it, but definitely worth it. Although once I compile it, I edit in Word and format in Word.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Tambra
Tambra
It's good to know that after you compile in Scrivener you can edit the document in Word. I've used Scrivener some but not for an entire story. Mostly I've used it to get started and to organize some research materials.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Vickieleah,
I use Scrivener for compiling my research and notes. However, Ulysesses has improved my word count. I can write without distraction.

Lillian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I've used dozens of types of software. Hope springs eternal that it will improve my writing.

I've used:
Word (still use for formatting and editing)
Scrivener (have used it for 9 years now--3 were in beta) and love it, but still, am not using all of its power.
CharacterWriter (for character development using DSM IV and plotting help)
Liquid Story Binder (a friend recommended this because it combines music listening to the story, but I never took to it)
One Note (I use this as an aid to writing --bringing elements of my story into One Note to keep all the odd things in one place like pictures, drawings, sketches, maps etc.)
Dramatica Pro (I got bogged down in their outlining system. I think it could have worked better had I devoted more learning it)
Final Draft (mostly for writing screenplays but also for novels)
Y-writer (free and fairly good, but Scrivener is better; Spacejock guy has other good programs for tracking writing and submissions--also free)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I use Scrivener and really like it. There are a lot of bells and whistles in the program that I don't know how to use (I'm probably missing out on something awesome but I just can't be bothered, lol), but all I really want out of Scrivener is a good word processor. I love that I can use it for storyboarding as I'm planning my outlines - I can write each scene on a separate "index card" and pin them to the corkboard, color code them, drag and drop them anywhere I want to change their order in the timeline, etc, That feature is incredibly helpful to me because I'm a very visual person. It's also great that Scrivener has every single file in my book available at a moment's notice (as opposed to Word, which takes - on my computer, at least - several seconds to open a whole new window).

So I am a Scrivener devotee, but this Ulysses program some are talking about sounds interesting, as well. I'm going to check into it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
I use Scrivener for my fiction and non-fiction books. I also use to compile other material. I have a dedicated Scrivener file that has a copy of each short story, another with all my articles. These two make it very easy to find a copy instead of digging through hard drive files. I've used Scrivener to assemble anthologies for a writing group I'm in.
I estimate I use about a third of the features but I can't conceive of trying to write a book without it.

Upvote 0
I'm a Scrivener fan too. I also organize my class lessons on it. It's very much like the applications that you write software code in and I like those features.

Upvote 0
I use Libreoffice for my MS and capture words on the go with yWriter.

I edit with Hemingway Editor and Prowriting Aid. Plus the Text-to-Speech Add on in Libreoffice for proofing.

I am experimenting with the online app Dictanote to see if I can dictate stories faster than I can type them. Dictanote at least helps me work at my writing without fatiguing my hands.

Upvote 0
I tried Dragon for text-to-speech but it didn't work for me and I was left screaming bad words that didn't show up properly on the screen either.

I like Scrivener but I tend to get lost and focus more on making this things pretty and organized than writing. I like my good old laptop or I like the write in a fancy notebook.

Upvote 0