Fairy Tale Retellings with Deb Bailey

Craft Fairy Tale Retellings with Deb Bailey

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $25 & Basic Members $35

Register by March 13th and save $5, use code FAIRYTALEBAILEY2023 at checkout!
Category
  1. Characters
  2. Description/Setting
  3. Structure
  4. GMC
  5. Plotting
  6. Worldbuilding
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
FAIRYTALEBAILEY2023
Class Length
2 Weeks
Fairy tale retellings are very popular for a reason. They use tropes and characters that we're familiar with. For instance, the Cinderella story is a common one across cultures and centuries. Learn how to use these familiar and beloved characters in stories and give them a different twist.

1. Fairy tales, mythology and archetypes – why we love retellings.

2. How to brainstorm twists for your fairy tale worlds.

3. Writing a story that's the same, but different. Keeping familiar elements while adding your own ideas.

4. Backstories of some well-known tales – they didn’t all start out the way you think!

5. Giving your story the fairy tale flavor even if it's not faithful to the original story

6. Fairy tale inspired – you can use the idea as a starting point for your own story without having to stick to the original tale.
Class Format
Savvy Authors' workshops are held on a forum: a bulletin board based system. You will receive a reminder notice one day prior to the start of the workshop that includes instructions on how to access the workshop forum. If you have not received instructions by the day the workshop begins, please check your spam filter.

The forum will be available the morning (EST) of the day the workshop starts and will remain accessible to all participants thereafter. You will also be given simple instructions on how to create a PDF of all your discussions along with our privacy and data retention policy.
Author
Deborah Bailey
Start date
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:00 AM
End date
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:50 AM
Registration end date
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:50 AM
Rating
4.96 star(s) 26 ratings

More classes from Deborah Bailey

Latest reviews

I loved Deborah Bailey's Fairy Tale Retellings class. Not only did she go over the basics of the genre, she also allowed us to share our work and encouraged us to engage with our fellow students in classroom discussions and by sharing our own works and ideas. It was a very fun class and I feel I learned more about this type of writing. It also generated some wonderful ideas for me for my own works in progress. I would recommend this class to anyone who loves fairy tales or fantasy no matter what age range you write in. It has something for everyone.
I enjoyed the information and links provided by Deb. Her posts were lengthy and insightful. I also appreciated her responses given to all members. On a side note, I thought maybe one of my posts would go unanswered (though my other ones received a comment), but she found time to go back through the days of the course and answer those she hadn't done so immediately for. I'm sure it's time consuming to go back and look, but it was very nice to see her take that time.
I learned a lot about fairy tales through Deb’s exercises and examples. She gave each class member prompt and thorough feedback. I would definitely take a class from her again. My only complaint is the class length. Two weeks is too short for such an interesting topic.