Mind-Mapping a Novel with Hank Quense

Plot-Structure-GMC Mind-Mapping a Novel with Hank Quense

Level
Intermediate
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $20 & Basic Members $25

Register by May 16th and save $5, use code MINDMAPQUENSE2022 at checkout!
Category
  1. Characters
  2. Description/Setting
  3. Structure
  4. Plotting
  5. Writer's Life
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
MINDMAPQUENSE2022
Class Length
1 Week
The first draft of a novel needs consistency and continuity: the more the better the novel will be. Mind-maps offer a way to gain that consistency.

What if you knew how to create mind-maps to ensure that consistency? And that continuity?

What if you had a way to make sure your characters didn’t inadvertently change in the middle of the story?

Imagine having a visual diagram to keep your plot on track.

What if you could have the synopsis of the novel displayed on a single graphic? It could be used as a roadmap to control your first draft.

Hank Quense is the author of a number of highly regarded novels and often writes and lectures on fiction writing techniques. His non-fiction book Creating Stories has been praised by novices and published authors alike.

In this lecture series, you’ll learn how to
  • Use mind-maps to ensure the first draft is consistent.
  • Create a mind-map depicting the character’s important traits
  • Create mind-map to ensure the plot events and turns are in sync
  • Develop a graphical synopsis of the entire story.
  • Get control of your first draft! By using mind-maps! Inconstancies are difficult to root out. Learn how to prevent making them.
Outline
Monday: Introduction; Mind-mapping basics, Mind-mapping enhancements
Tuesday: Character mind-maps
Wednesday: Plot mind-maps
Thursday: Graphical Synopsis
Friday: Other mind-mapping applications
Class Format
Savvy Authors' workshops are held on a forum: a bulletin board based system. You will receive a reminder notice one day prior to the start of the workshop that includes instructions on how to access the workshop forum. If you have not received instructions by the day the workshop begins, please check your spam filter.

The forum will be available the morning (EST) of the day the workshop starts and will remain accessible to all participants thereafter. You will also be given simple instructions on how to create a PDF of all your discussions along with our privacy and data retention policy.
Author
hank-quense
Start date
May 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM
End date
May 30, 2022 at 12:50 AM
Registration end date
May 26, 2022 at 12:50 AM
Rating
3.80 star(s) 10 ratings

More classes from hank-quense

Latest reviews

I enjoyed this class. Before taking it I did not completely understand mind-mapping, but Hank explained it in a way, it now makes sense and I will use it to plot my next novel. I would have liked to have had lessons/assignments to go along with this course. That way, we could practice what he was teaching while class was in session. I have requested his book on the subject and look forward to diving into this method even more. Definitely a course I recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about mind-mapping.
Re the mind-mapping class. If you know nothing about mind maps, this class might be useful to you. I had hoped to learn about how to use my existing knowledge for writing, so found the documents less useful as I'd already stumbled upon a similar use. I think the documents would be far more helpful if the maps were from a book we might all recognize, rather than his own fantasy novel that is difficult to follow (any unfamiliar novel would be difficult to follow for this application). I got through all the documents in under 20 minutes btw, so for the $25 you might be better off buying his book.