Craft Tools Master WordPress for Writers with author and tech guru Pat Haggerty

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Basic Members $40 & Premium Members $30
Category
  1. Business
  2. Technology
[bcolor=transparent]If you’re ready for to submit to a publisher or hit the button on self publishing, then you are ready for a website. Through recorded webinars tech guru Pat Haggerty will give you the skills to take your vision, your content, and use WordPress to bring your site to life. This workshop will walk registrants from the basics of where and how to create a site to backing up and updating. It will include,[/bcolor]
  1. [bcolor=transparent][bcolor=transparent]Finding and registering a new URL for your site,[/bcolor][/bcolor]
  2. [bcolor=transparent][bcolor=transparent]Navigating the WP dashboard,[/bcolor][/bcolor]
  3. [bcolor=transparent][bcolor=transparent]Changing the look of the site through themes,[/bcolor][/bcolor]
  4. [bcolor=transparent][bcolor=transparent]Linking to social networking sites like Facebook.[/bcolor][/bcolor]
Syllabus
An author today can hardly get by without having some kind of website. If you don’t have the resources to hire a developer, then there’s a good chance that you might find yourself out in the Internet wilds, attempting to built a site all on your own.

A quality site needs three things: vision, content, and a web development framework. The vision is your mental plan for the site and ideally it should correlate to your author brand. Your brand will then lead you to find or create the graphics and text that will make up the site's content. Finally, to get it all online, most authors will utilize some web development framework to simplify the actual development process.

WordPress is one of the most popular web development frameworks. It’s easy to install, well supported, feature rich, and with a little guidance, easy to use. This class is designed to give you the skills you’ll need to take your vision and your content, and use WordPress to bring your site to life.

Lectures will be presented using recorded videos so you can hear and see as your instructor explains and demonstrates everything you need to become effective with WordPress. Each lecture will be announced through the Savvy forums/list and will be accompanied by a brief timeline. Students will then be able to use the same forms/list to ask questions, discuss lectures, etc.

Course Outline:

But I don’t even have a URL yet!
  • Finding and registering a new URL for your site
  • Locating hosting (where your site actually lives)
  • Setting up WordPress

So what’s a Dashboard and what do I do now?
  • Understanding the WordPress interface
  • Creating and formatting blog posts
  • Uploading and using graphics

I can see my site, but how do I change the look and links?
  • Changing site look with themes
  • Creating and modifying navigation menus and widgets
  • Working with permalinks

This blog thing is nice, but I just want some pages
  • Blog sites vs. brochure sites
  • Creating pages
  • Controlling text and graphics

I’ve so got this, what else should I know?
  • Adding functionality with plugins
  • Using Jetpack
  • Linking to social networking sites like Facebook and Pinterest
  • Backing up and updating WordPress
  • Core WordPress settings and configurations
Author
Patrick
Start date
May 9, 2016 at 9:00 AM
End date
Jun 5, 2016 at 10:00 PM
Registration end date