Adapting Fairy Tales and Public Domain Classics into Original Fiction with Midnight Voss

Craft Adapting Fairy Tales and Public Domain Classics into Original Fiction with Midnight Voss

Level
Mixed
Basic and Premium Members Prices
Premium Members $30 & Basic Members $40

Register by October 30th and save $5, use code FAIRYTALEVOSS2023 at checkout!
Category
  1. Characters
  2. Description/Setting
  3. Structure
  4. GMC
  5. Plotting
$5 off Early Registration Coupon-expires 1 week before class starts
FAIRYTALEVOSS2023
Class Length
4 Weeks
From well-worn fairytales to far flung fantasy, the tradition of drawing from beloved stories to create new and striking iterations has a long history. At the core of this story obsession are familiar tropes and relationship dynamics that keep us coming back to similar stories time and again.

In this class, we will break down some of these tropes and discuss various strategies for spinning your own versions of these yarns and making them golden. Furthermore, throughout the class, we look at case studies of books and occasionally visual media that employ different methods for adapting older stories into an engaging tale that will draw in readers and keep them wanting more.
Syllabus
This is a four week course that will meet roughly twice per week with discussion and exercises. We will cover the following topics:

● How often-retold stories come to “feel true”
● Ways of working with or against “narrative fidelity” in a familiar story: Reinvention, Recreation, Subversion, and Kitchen-Sink
● Making use of emotional resonances within stories from affect saturated symbols and objects
● Familiarizing yourself with major tropes used in fairytales
● Creating a coherent in-narrative world for your adaptation
● Planning your adaptation through structure, theme, and reference
Class Format
Savvy Authors' workshops are held on a forum: a bulletin board based system. You will receive a reminder notice one day prior to the start of the workshop that includes instructions on how to access the workshop forum. If you have not received instructions by the day the workshop begins, please check your spam filter.

The forum will be available the morning (EST) of the day the workshop starts and will remain accessible to all participants thereafter. You will also be given simple instructions on how to create a PDF of all your discussions along with our privacy and data retention policy.
Author
midnight_voss
Start date
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:00 AM
End date
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:50 AM
Registration end date
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:50 AM
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More classes from midnight_voss

Latest reviews

This was one of the most useful classes I've taking with SA. Possibly because I'm working on an adaptation, however Midnight Voss pointed out things and asked and answered questions I had not even thought about. It was insightful and I'm currently working my way down the list of resources they provided. Will definitely be on the look out for more classes by MV.