jeighlynn

Wordsmith
Aug 14, 2022
Texas
I've been a member for over a year, but I have been hanging back. I decided it was time to jump in. I find myself in a strange position of late. My critique group imploded with everyone going through hard times, including the death of one of our members. They have all quit writing, and I am in the process of switching genres. So I find myself without critique partners and the companionship of other writers. I miss not having other writers to talk to.

I'm an experienced writer; my first book was published in 2005. All of my publishers have since gone out of business and I've self-published my backlist. I also parted ways with my agent and I'm trying to navigate things alone. Another reason I miss having other writers to talk with, ask for advice, and compare experiences. As I said, I'm trying to branch out and write in a different genre. I am published in Romance but would love to expand and also write in the Cozy Mystery genre. My WIP is, in fact, a cozy mystery. I have not given up traditional publishers, but would really like to try my hand at more self-publishing; I find very rewarding being able to have so much control. Another reason I'd love to be able to compare notes and converse with other with more experience in self-publishing. Anyway, that is my little introduction. I'm excited about getting to know everyone and talk shop.

I looking forward to joining in some of the discussions.

Jeigh

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 1
Hi Jeigh! If you aren't already in it, I'd also really recommend the 20 Books to %0k facebook group. They're super active, and have multiple spin off groups (all extremely active) specifically for people who want to write and make money, compare experiences and find better ways to self publish. Craig Martelle (their leader) has a daily five minute inspiration video that I absolutely love (it's on youtube) and they also have an "at cost" (they make no profit from it) conference every November which is also fabulous. It should happen soon and you can watch the videos for free on youtube once the fonference ends.

I hope you find what you're looking for!! It might be a little quiet here on savvy since Nano is going on. Have you thought of joining Savvy's Nano group? Maybe you can write more of your cozy and connect with others also writing cozies :)

jeighlynn
jeighlynn
Thanks for the tip. I have a real aversion to FB, but I'm giving it some consideration. I'll look up the youtube videos though until I decide about FB. I've been on there in the past and I just hate it. I know it's great for advertisement though. I had a pretty big group and the interaction with readers was nice, but I could never make myself use it much because I hated the interface. OH! I had forgotten all about Nano! I will definitely look into the Savvy nano group.
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've been a member for over a year, but I have been hanging back. I decided it was time to jump in. I find myself in a strange position of late. My critique group imploded with everyone going through hard times, including the death of one of our members. They have all quit writing, and I am in the process of switching genres. So I find myself without critique partners and the companionship of other writers. I miss not having other writers to talk to.

I'm an experienced writer; my first book was published in 2005. All of my publishers have since gone out of business and I've self-published my backlist. I also parted ways with my agent and I'm trying to navigate things alone. Another reason I miss having other writers to talk with, ask for advice, and compare experiences. As I said, I'm trying to branch out and write in a different genre. I am published in Romance but would love to expand and also write in the Cozy Mystery genre. My WIP is, in fact, a cozy mystery. I have not given up traditional publishers, but would really like to try my hand at more self-publishing; I find very rewarding being able to have so much control. Another reason I'd love to be able to compare notes and converse with other with more experience in self-publishing. Anyway, that is my little introduction. I'm excited about getting to know everyone and talk shop.

I looking forward to joining in some of the discussions.

Jeigh
Hi Jeigh!
I am so sorry to hear about your group and the death of a member. That must have been devastating.

Like Jodi says with Nano going on it's likely a bit quiet now. If you are looking for Crit Partners, we run a partner match every two weeks. It's still a bit small but might help you find someone.

We are also running a Flash fiction contest every two weeks that is open to any registered members. We post a prompt and you have a week to write a flash, then we post the stories anonymously on the site and encourage all the members to read and vote. It's fun and has been keeping me writing, so personally, I love it. :)

We are also running a Nano boot camp right now.

Registration is open for all of these that I have mentioned. The Crit Partner Match and Flash are free, but the boot camp is restricted to paid members, (just for full disclosure). Here are the links:
October 30 - November 12 Fortnight Flash Fiction Contest
2023 NaNovember Write with SavvyAuthors
CritPartner Match Overview

:)
Leslie

jeighlynn
jeighlynn
Thank you. It was/is hard. I still miss her. We were a tight little group and went through a lot together, including trying to get published, then being published, and also some publisher closings not to mention a genuine friendship. I do still talk to the others, but it's not the same as all of us writing and critiquing for one another. So I will definitely give the critpartner match some consideration. And I saw the flashfiction winners yesterday. I started reading but got sidetracked with family duties. I also need to look into the paid membership!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Jeigh!

I just noticed your post and thought I'd say hi. :) I'm usually at SA during Nano and for Pitchfests, and then slack off for the rest of the year. I've been writing since dial up modems to the Internet (realized this yesterday when I was talking to my 16 y.o. son. Life before wifi? AOL? You've got mail!).

I'm sorry for the loss of your critique partner. I know that when my critique group dissolved (we used to meet face to face back in those long ago dark ages. We used to have to make copies of our chapters and mail them to each other a week before we met. The paper! The postage! Holy moly...) it took a long time to get back into the swing of things. Now I belong to Writers-in-Progress on the Mighty Network (formerly Passionate Critters); the core members of the group have been together for 15 years.

Currently, I only have one book published (a rom com); out of necessity I started ghost writing for profit and my own books got sidelined. (They're still sidelined because I'm a freelance editor) but I'm trying to get focused and writing for myself again. (Which is why I really shouldn't be here. I have a serious ADD, besides. Distracted much?:ROFLMAO: ) But the other day I realized the discussion groups and threads I've looked at here are fairly quiet anyway, so when I saw your post, I HAD to say hello.

HELLO!

Upvote 0
You have been at it awhile. I can remember before all the social media. I remember when they came up with yahoogroups and how big a deal that was for critiquing. LOL I know all about getting sidetracked instead of writing. Oh, the rabbit holes while researching...
Yahoogroups were awesome. LOL. That's how I originally met the core members of my current critique group; one of them decided to host her own forum. :)

It doesn't help that I edit; I spend most of my time doing that--AND researching facts (because the books are all historical romance. LOTS of rabbit holes to jump in and out of--so many bunnies to chase!) But I learn a lot and am full of random knowledge. :giggle:

Are you Nano-ing? Did you pitch any pitches?

Upvote 0
Yahoogroups were awesome. LOL. That's how I originally met the core members of my current critique group; one of them decided to host her own forum. :)

It doesn't help that I edit; I spend most of my time doing that--AND researching facts (because the books are all historical romance. LOTS of rabbit holes to jump in and out of--so many bunnies to chase!) But I learn a lot and am full of random knowledge. :giggle:

Are you Nano-ing? Did you pitch any pitches?
Oh yeah, lots of rabbit holes. I love Historical romance. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to write one. It's my favorite to read. I haven't done pitches, and I am sort of doing Nano. As I said, it's just me, so...It's a pretty boring Nano LOL. I need to really dig into the site and see what is what.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, lots of rabbit holes. I love Historical romance. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to write one. It's my favorite to read. I haven't done pitches, and I am sort of doing Nano. As I said, it's just me, so...It's a pretty boring Nano LOL. I need to really dig into the site and see what is what.
LOL. I keep saying, "Today is the day!" And then...well. Life. And deadlines. I'm not meeting my goals at all...

Upvote 0
My critique group imploded with everyone going through hard times, including the death of one of our members. They have all quit writing, and I am in the process of switching genres. So I find myself without critique partners and the companionship of other writers. I miss not having other writers to talk to.

Jeigh

Wow, Jeigh! How traumatic that must have been. I can't begin to imagine. I'm glad you ventured out to talk with folks here. I find everyone to be very kind and helpful. I don't write Romance or Cozy (I'm a Spec and Hist Fic), but I do self-publish quite a bit. Like you, I started out traditional publishing, but I parted ways with my agent first, and now that the rights to my YA/Fantasy series have reverted, I'm re-releasing them on my own. As you said, more control is nice. Especially to make marketing changes on the fly with categories and keywords, etc. I hope you're able to find some connection and support here.
--Tracy

Upvote 0