Turning Your Idea into a Novel with Kate McMurray

Writing Life Turning Your Idea into a Novel with Kate McMurray

Please register for SavvyWriterCon first!
Please note that you will need to register for SavvyAuthorsWriterCon before you can register for any webinars or intensives.

This event will be a live webinar. It will take place on Saturday September 9th at 11:30 a.m. EST

Don't know what time 11:30 a.m. EST in your time zone? Check HERE.
New this year at SavvyAuthors!
  1. New!!
Class Length
1 Day
How does an idea become a real book? It requires some planning! Planning a novel has two major components: planning what you are going to write and when you are going to write it.

So in this webinar, we will discuss how to think about story in advance of writing so that even your vague idea can solidify into something you can write. And no stodgy outlines with roman numerals here! We’ll discuss some fun ways to think about story and plan out what you need to know to write the novel.

Then we’ll discuss how to plan your time and set reasonable expectations for what it will take to finish the novel. Some key takeaways:
  • Story is not just characters doing things. There are some essential things you need to know—characters, conflict, motivation—before you write the first word of your first scene.
  • Different writers have different preferences about plotting before they write, so think of this as some prewriting activities to warm up to the level of plotting you’re comfortable with.
  • Making time for writing is a challenge, especially if you’ve got a job and a family and many other obligations! So we’ll discuss some tips for making time to finish your story.
Class Format
This will be a live webinar, but there will be a recording available for a specific amount of time that will be clearly stated in the classroom forum.
Author
Kate McMurray
Start date
Sep 9, 2023 at 11:30 AM
End date
Sep 9, 2023 at 12:30 PM
Registration end date
Sep 9, 2023 at 11:30 AM
Rating
4.90 star(s) 10 ratings

More classes from Kate McMurray

Latest reviews

Well-paced and full of good info and tips on how to structure your time and plot.
Excellent instructor, class and handout. I am comfortable with the subject matter but I gained a more sophisticated understanding of the process and like the idea of different tiers of character development. Lately, I can't seem to find time to do anything. Kate gave suggestions which will help me. I registered for her course, since I enjoyed her class, which I had to watch from the recording due to rural internet being shoddy.
Very detailed with the class, especially breaking down GMC. I hope to take more of Ms McMurray's classes in the future!