The IndieCafe' Crit Partner Matching
How this all works
Every two weeks SavvyAuthors will run our new automated Crit Matching Tool and match up everyone who has opted in for that cycle and has completed the crit partner matching selection criteria. The criteria are derived from our experience running our Crit Partner Matching Speed Dating event. We found that the best matches only used these three criteria. That was it.
After we make the matches we'll publish them in a private section of the IndieCafe' and the rest is up to the match participants.
At the end of the two-week cycle we'll ask you to rate your partner and we'll publicly reward good crit partners and allow everyone to earn crit credit toward Excellence in Critique Badges. And we'll show rankings of your accumulated points on a Leaderboard
- How do I know who I am matched with?
- Each set of matches are posted every other Sunday night on the front page of the IndieCafe forums. We'll also send you emails about this!
- How long do I have to crit?
- Well, you have two weeks but we suggest that you trade pages pretty quickly to make the most of your time together.
- What happens if I don’t or can’t complete a crit?
- Please let us and your crit partner know as soon as possible so we can find someone else to match her with. Anyone who does not complete a crit without letting us know will be dropped from the next round of matches. Anyone who repeatedly does not complete their crits will be dropped from the program for at least 6 months. (See “What if the crit I got is horrible, bad, or just not useful”.
- How many pages?
- We ask everyone trade no more than 10 pages (2500 words), this allows your partner to get a sense of your critting without being overwhelming.
- How do I know that I am being paired with a decent critter.
- Well, this is pretty much like life and everyone is different. We try to reduce the randomness by our crit ratings and levels but anyone can have a bad week, and sometimes people are just not a good fit.
- However, if we find that someone is repeatedly ranked by several people as providing an unhelpful crit, we remove them from the program and they cannot reapply for 6 months.
- We also have a Critique Excellence board (aka Leaderboard) so we can recognize critters who are just superb and you can see if you might be one of them! You can also click on their username and view their profile with information about what they write and a bit about them. From their profile you can see what books they have published, if they have ever taught here at SavvyAuthors, If they have blogged for us, and if they have recommended any service providers. This is also why we encourage everyone to complete their profile information!
- What if the crit I got is horrible, bad, or just not useful?
- After each cycle, we will ask you to rank the quality of the crit. These are both used to assess if our program is not a good fit for that person and to give points for the Critique Wall of Excellence.
- If someone repeatedly provides poor quality crits we remove them from the pool of critters and they cannot be added back for 6 months. Hopefully, during that time they have improved their critting skills. We figure everyone deserves a second chance. But not a third, if they are still not meeting our expectations, we move them out, for good.
- Will I always be matched with my preferred genre and/or level?
- Sadly, no. We never know who will be in the pool at any given time. You can definitely tell us that you do not want to be matched outside of your level or genre and we can skip you for that week, but we cannot guarantee that we’ll have another participant in your genre or level.
- How many possible critters can I be matched with?
- Well, that depends on how many we get in a pool. We cap each cycles’s pool now at 30 and that is just to keep it manageable. We may increase that. We won’t run a cycle if we get a pool of less than 10. So you can expect that there are between 10 and 29 people you could be matched with. We'll update everyone if we decide to go with bigger pools.
- Does that mean I might be matched with the same person more than once?
- Not for some time. We’re going to keep track of who has been matched with whom over the course of 6 months. We will see how it goes but the plan now is to reset that in 6 months. So you might be matched again after that, but we’re going to try to avoid that.
- Tell me more about the Critique Excellence Board
- It’s pretty simple, each week we ask you to rate your crit partner in one way:
Just that. We all aspire to receive useful crits because those get us published. If the crit was useful, the critter gets 1 point on the wall and any additional points based on the rating. The wall is posted on the IndieCafe section of the site so anyone who is in the Match Pool can see what critters are critting a lot and usefully. If you get 20 points, we give you a special critter badge to display on your SavvyAuthors Profile and postbit. We’re also planning to have some fun events around the Wall of Excellence but more on those later!
- Was the crit useful?
- Rate the crit from 0 to 3, where 3 is the best.
- How do I do the crit?
- That is for you and your partner to decide. We will provide you with a forum to post pages directly or you can upload a text or document file, or you can trade via email. Totally up to you and your partner. We do advise you to do the initial trade on our site, we monitor to ensuyre that the SavvyAuthors forums are safe and fun, we can't provide the same assurance for email.
- Is this a crit class?
- No, not really. We do give you access to all the lessons in our Critique Class and our great crit checklist. You can always ask questions and one of the SavvyCrew or a mod will happily help you. But we are not teaching this, we are matching you to someone who will be a great crit partner and (hopefully) friend!
- What happens after the critting is done?
- You will complete your review of your critter and indicate if you want to continue with them to explore a more permanent crit partnership. We will trade contact information (only SavvyAuthors usernames) between the two of you ONLY if both of you express interest. What you do after that is totally up to you! We do have places here on Savvy where you can trade pages, but it may be simpler to just trade email addresses and do this via email.
- OK, how much is this going to cost?
- We are offering this free of charge during our Public Beta. This is while we fine tune the process and match algorithm to make it as useful as possible. After that there may be an additional paid upgrade for access to the CritPartner Matching. We're still working out the details on the cost while we pilot the program! We're working with developers to automate as much as possible which reduces our costs and we can then offer the service at a lower cost!
- More questions?